Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Trying to decide if I should take my tank down

I need help making a decision. Several years ago when I first set my 75 gallon tank up I was really excited about it. However, for the past 1.5 - 2 years I can't say I've gotten much enjoyment from it. It's become one of those things that "owns me" rather than me "owning it" - if you know what I mean. I dread water changes and feeding has become one of those things I "have" to do. Keeping it topped off with freshwater has become another chore.
I've found other (cheaper) hobbies that I enjoy more, like the small pond we created in our backyard.

What I don't want to do though is take it down and sell it only to be wishing I hadn't done so a year from now. It cost quite a bit to get started and I don't think I could do it again.

I'm really leaning toward getting rid of it. I'm looking for any advice or past experiences from you.

Thanks!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

What part of this hobby caught your attention?

There are do it yourself projects for a top off unit and water changes dont need to be done but once a month depending on your setup and i cant help with feeding as the more you feed in the right amounts the better your tank would look.

This hobby does take time and constant attention from water testing to water changes to coral trimming and it would be better to sell it then let it die a slow unattended death.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think I've always had FW tanks/bowls since I was a kid but always marveled at the cool looking SW fish. I just never imagined the amount of TIME/energy/money involved.
I have 3 kids and a lot of my time is taken up with them (which I enjoy).

I know about the diy top off's etc. I guess what I'm really looking for is someone to give me a good reason to NOT get rid of it.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I always look at it as the fish and corals need me.Without my husbandry aqnd feeding they would never make it. Their life is in my hand. That`s just the motivation I need.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I don't know if you have a reef or just a fowlr but i really enjoy keeping corals. I like growing them out and fragging them and just collecting what seems to be an endless variety of colors, shapes, and styles. If you haven't tried corals yet i would strongly suggest giving them a shot before you give up your tank.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wake up Man. Your very lucky your able to even keep this precious part of the ocean in YOUR living room. To do this it takes a little time from your valuble spare time and you get to view cool coral and smart fish.

If i was with you i would knock you upside the head with a water test kit and make you do something you really wouldnt like. Stop whinning and take care of this tank as it cant survive without you.

HEHE that the best i can do without getting booted. Just some well placed humer. But i do beleive that fact we can keep a reef in our living room is a gift that really dont take that much time.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I would sell it, and use the money to enlarge/improve the pond, since that's what you enjoy most.

Especially since it's not like this one of those "Aaagh, why do I have this thing!" moments we all have, just a general "eh" feeling about the tank over a long period of time.

Remember that Darwin was mostly right!
plecoperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haha, Lance you cracked me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I always look at it as the fish and corals need me.Without my husbandry aqnd feeding they would never make it. Their life is in my hand. That`s just the motivation I need.
Understood, and I've taken it seriously for quite some time now. I just don't get any of those good feelings about it anymore.

I think Lisa summed it up best...

Quote:
Especially since it's not like this one of those "Aaagh, why do I have this thing!" moments we all have, just a general "eh" feeling about the tank over a long period of time.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

i tell you what. we set it all up in my house and you can come see it whenever you want. so you get to enjoy it without having to do any of the work.

hey lance, i don't think there is "spare time" with 3 kids. lol
Old 08-19-2008, 11:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Heck get the kids involved. They can help change water and im sure they would love to do water tests , if they are old enough of course.

But if they are like me , put shampoo because you want to help clean them ( i was 4 ) Killing everything in your dads fresh water stock.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com