Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist

**** didn't know this was under saltwater sorry i have fresh

Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

You shouldn't change the filter pads all at once its a complex Bactria thing that I'm not to sure on but was explained to me your taking your Bactria colony out so you should change them one at a time ( depending on how many have in filter)

Old 01-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks.. I have two carbon filled cotton bass then it has two plastic filter things with rubbery or plastic "noses" in circle shapes I usually don't touch those at all.. The green algae that hangs on the filter I don't clean off either unless its really bad but that's usually only when the new pads been inside the filter for half the formation
Old 01-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So after my most recent massive water change, I took a nitrate reading with my API test kit:

The test kit read 80ppm, and I also tried measuring a sample of half tank water and half extra saltwater that I had pre-mixed. The test kit read between 40ppm and 80ppm on that. Would I be correct if I said that diluting the sample like this will not give me accurate results with my API test kit, since it could be measuring things that are in my non-tank-water?

If I understand this correctly, that means my nitrates are somewhere around 20ppm. This would line up with the fact that the fish that seem sick/stressed are looking much better. I really hope it was just the nitrates that were giving them problems.

I think what I want to do over the next week is:

no water changes. I want to do another reading a week after my last reading and see exactly how many nitrates my tank is generating as is.

I think I want to remove the chaeto from my refugium. I feel like it isn't doing any good, and it's hideous to look at.

I think I want a biopellet reactor. The set-and-forget self-regulating nature of this is worth the extra money to me. I have a couple of questions about this, though. Most of the units don't appear to have a pump included. I'd kind of like for this to be in-sump instead of pumped externally. Is that possible? I'm not sure quite how to accomplish that, and what kind of setup I'd need (or what kind of plugs to get on my biopellet reactor) for that. Any suggestions?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get a really heavily encrusted (with coralline algae) live rock and make sure your powerhead is blowing straight through and across it- Macro algae is the best stabilizer you can get.... I swear!! mr_X, thank you for chiming in, you're a great sw resource
Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This reactor:

NextReef MR1 Compete Media Reactor Kit with pump

It seems to come with everything I need except for media. This type of media seems appropriate:

500 ml Warner Marine EcoBak ULNS Pellets

So this seems like what I want to do. Am I getting too much of the pellets?

Also, I wonder if it's a problem if I want to keep this submerged in my sump. Any problems with this plan?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHorton
This reactor:

NextReef MR1 Compete Media Reactor Kit with pump

It seems to come with everything I need except for media. This type of media seems appropriate:

500 ml Warner Marine EcoBak ULNS Pellets

So this seems like what I want to do. Am I getting too much of the pellets?

Also, I wonder if it's a problem if I want to keep this submerged in my sump. Any problems with this plan?
Okay I'm not sure if this has been posted but I will ask again. I'd your api kit expired? Mine was it was given me off the wall readings... I took sample in to LFS they came up with less the 5 nitrats... I bought a new test api again went home and got the same reading... I didn't realize it since they have dome number scheme on the bottle but it was only two months shy of a year that it was manufactured...
Old 01-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This particular test kit was bought less than 6 months ago so I doubt it's expired.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I would test it against a quality test kit like Salifert or Elos. Meanwhile, you shouldn't need a denitrator. If your nitrates are in fact high, I would look into finding the source and correcting it. I'm sure it's an easy fix once you figure it out. Just go through a process of elimination.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHorton
This particular test kit was bought less than 6 months ago so I doubt it's expired.
How long was it what sitting on their shelf.. just was pointing out getting a second opinion.. either by trying a different test kit or taking it to the LFS.

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com