Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Trying to understand par

I recently watched a video on vivid aquariums website about par ratings and in the video the guy was measuring par under water in various depths and areas of the tank and his measurements ranged from 200par to 370par. Reason I'm asking this is because I'm looking at getting a led fixture and want to make sure I get a good one. I'm looking at a few on eBay. A 120w and a 165w. No there not taotronics or some of the other fancy ones but it's what I can afford. The 165w says it has a par rating of 28 and the other just says output optimized for par. So I'm a little confused. Can anyone help explain.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I can try, par stands for photosynthetically available radiation. It is basically tells us how much of the light is actually available to be used by the photsynthetic algae in a coral. Usually people will say low light corals can grow with 50-100 par, medium light 100-300, and high light corals needing above 300 to grow. However, most ppl don't have ready access to a par meter so it is hard to determine just how much par a fixture puts out at different depths in the aquarium.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

K I think ive got the gist of that part of it. So what's the deal with the two different fixtures I mentioned. One saying 28 par. Am I just getting to hung up on technicalities and should just know that the fixtures should work just fine for coral growth
Old 10-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
That can't be right (28 par). You would barely be able to grow anything.
Post a link to the fixture you are considering.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...101&cmd=VIDESC

I knew proper par ranges had to be between 100 and 400 so the 28 par number posted in the description for this fixture is actually why I started this thread. Understand my confusion. Hope that link works
Old 10-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Could it mean 28 par per led. And what do you think it means by 28par for lens can output more par
Old 10-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is the other one I was looking at. They both seem good for the price. One is 165w but 60 degree lens and the other is 120w but has 90 degree lens
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=360756176801
Old 10-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
The 165 watt one is way more than you need. The second is the same fixture everyone nick named "Taotronics". I think it's got too many reds in it though. It's going to make your tank look pink. I have one with just 2 red lamps and i ended up covering them, until I get around to swapping them out for blues.
I don't even think you need the 90 degree lenses really.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ahh so that's the fixture everyone keeps talking about! It seems like everyone here raves about that fixture but I definitely don't want a pink tank and yes the 165w would be way too much I'm sure. If I got it I'm sure I'd have to run it at 70% or less. Did the verbage about par for that one make any sense to you. Both looked appealing to me but I see what your saying about the reds. A broader range of color seems like a good thing for aquarium inhabitants but at the same time I've noticed that all the really spendy led fixtures are just white and blue
Old 10-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

On thing about some of these lights is the controller. Most of the Tao units have 55 LEDs each 3 watt, but the fixture is only a 120W light. Why? Because the underdrive the lights. That extends the life of the LEDs as compared to having 40 x 3 watt LEDs driven by the same 120 watt driver. It is actually good quality control.

the 165 W units that I have seen have also 55 LEDs just driven with a bigger driver (power supply), so they could drive the lEDs brighter. But if you kept it at 66% or below, then you would benifit from the same underdriven protection.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com