Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2004, 10:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tube Anemone

Not long ago I added a tube anemone, its orange and has a green center. I need to know what and how to feed it, Ive been trying to feed it with cyclopeez, but it puts the cyclopeeze in a slime and releses it after it closes with the cyclopeeze in it. I tried frozen food but dont know if he eats it, cuz he releases it 5 mins in his tenticles. Whats your opinion??

Old 08-14-2004, 11:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Though there are several species of tube anemones the most common and like the one you describe Cerianthus sp. is primarily noctournal and very easy to care for so it should be a good one for you. There are a few cautions to keep in mind: Generally these things pack a pretty strong punch as far as stinging goes. While mine never nailed any fish for feeod he did give my tang a bit of a scar (which healed nicely) but most fish will avoid it anyway. Also since it is a creature of the night it will expand to it's max in darkness. It is non-photosenthetic so light is not a must. I fed frozen silverside minnows about once a week. It will grow quickly if well fed.

As far as illness is concerned or it not eating; was the "tube" around it foot in good shape? It should have looked like it was covered in sand. Also where do you have it placed? It should be in a crevice of rick on the substrate and after a few days will bury it foot to the point where you would have to dig it out. It it's foot is not set yet this may be a reason it is not eating.

HTH
R-

Old 08-14-2004, 11:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Where I put it is under the sand, but I have the opening of the tube out of the sand so it can come out. My dad wanted to move it from is spot, i think it had its foot cuz it was very long longer than when we got it, he moved the guy in another spot so it would show the middle. Heres a Pic Of it From its origional spot
Old 08-15-2004, 01:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a special frozen food formula that has alot of dif kinds of food, like brine shrimp and stuff. What do they look like when eating?
Old 08-15-2004, 02:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

have you tried any "chunky" frozen foods, all my predatory corals (torch, plate, lobos, hammer, and my wellsy) all eat small chunks of clam about once a week. i've also tried chunks of squid before and it worked well. I don't know from experience what happens with a tube anemone, but whenever my tentacled torch coral eats the food clings to the tentacle wich slowly take the food to the mouth, that kind of inflates so it can get the food inside. in my tank the whole process takes about half an hour.

Tags
anemone, tube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com