Tube anemone what is UP?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snapcrackler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a great purple and green tube anemone that is doing superbly. However I just read THIS on liveaquaria:

This Anemone requires that the temperature in the aquarium be lowered to below 68 ºF for several months during the winter. It prefers periodic intermittent currents and needs moderate lighting within the aquarium.

We have all been breaking paradigms since we have started this hobby... you hear one thing and discover that it's just speculation coined as fact somewhere along the way.....

However I want what is best for the creatures. So do I gotta ice this tube anemone or what?? If so it has to go to a different special tank and all that.

Crazy stuff.

PS I just hand fed it a big pile of frozen mysis and it CHOWED. The tank at 2nd LFS where he came from was low circulation, low light, etc. so I think it is happy for a big meal and high current and triton lights. It sure looks like it is.

Tubes anemones, (Cerianthus membranaceus) is a non-zooxanthellae animal and will require feeding at least once a week to do well. As far as the temp is concerned, I have heard of this before but IME keeping them, have never seen the need. The tank mine is located in is a constant 81° and has been there for several years.

They will do best in a medium flow area and low lighting. If the light in the tank is rather bright, it can be positioned in a shaded area. If they are in continual intense light, the tube anemone tends to stay retreated in the tube more often. Be very wary of placing this anemone in tanks with smaller fish as it has one of the most potent stings going. One brush up against it will mean certaain doom for fish <3".

Good luck
Cheers
Steve

That is AWESOME information Steve

phew...

thanks so much! I didn't know it was one of the more potent ones stingwise .... hehe.... I did read though that it will eat fish if it gets a chance. It sure gobbled up that big pile of mysis I handed to it.

I will watch the fish size wise. I can just see a teeny one getting blasted by that thing and then *chomp*

Man, I got a seriously carnivorous anemone huh. Cool.

Thanks again Steve.

Oh BTW how bout percula and the tube anemones... ? I would like to eventually get a perc once I get the proper kind of anemone for said percula, and wondering what would happen if the perc went and nosed around in the tube anemone.

Have you ever been stung by any of your anemones enough to be affected pain wise or shortness of breath or any of that? That said, wondering if the tube anemone at 3" extended right now could pack enough punch to sting me when I feed it by hand? :?:

If he stings me that will be a first for me, never got stung by an anemone before but I understand it can hurt like a mo...... hehe

Don't set your hopes on it. The tube anemone is not a hosting species and the perc will most definately ignore it. Even if it was "mistaken" enough to try, I am quite sure the anemone would accept it as a snack... 8O

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom