Tufa Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nsu7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've tried testing my pH at different times of the day and it is 7.8. I just can't get over the feeling that the Jumbo Tufa Rock I added caused the pH to go from 8.2 to 7.8 (the drop happened immediately after the Tufa addition)

Is this possible or am I just unecessarily stressing out about the pH at this stage (1/2 through cycle). I thought Tufa had buffering qualities, yes/no?

Your ph will drop throughout the cycle. Tufa has been used safely in SW for quite some time. Finish you cycle and then do a pwc and then check your ph. Do you have a glass top on the tank? Lack of gas exchange can drop ph too...

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what did it then. I do have a glass cover, and it was covering the better part of the tank, with only a Emperor 400 for water turnover when I added it. Now I have a hagen 70, powersweep 228, magnum 350, coralife superskimmer220, and the emperor 400 turning over the water. I will also take off the plastic runners that cover the space between the back of the tank and the glass cover.

Back
Top Bottom