Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

tunze nano wavebox before i get one...

I'm considering getting a tunze nano wavebox but before i do i have a few concerns. I'm looking to get more movement to eliminate dead spots in the tank to get detritus up and into the water column for removal and all that good stuff. some concerns i have are:

will it interfere with my overflow box as my tank is not drilled. i have an eshopps overflow with a lifter pump connected to the u-tube to keep/start the siphon. any thoughts concerns?

also my tank is tall and not too wide its a 45 gal older perfecto its 25x18x25 (LxWxH) does anybody think tank stability will be an issue. as i mentioned the tank is a little older do these devices put much stress on a tank, will the tank be taking a beating? has anyone heard of a reduced tank life because of one of these? thoughts concerns?

i'm considering the wave box because i made the mistake of connecting koralias to a wavemaster pro and am sick of hearing the klacking on start up. but they really arent doing the job like in my old setup. even though i increased the pump size (i now have two koralia #2's and two koralia #1's on a 45 cube) i would like all the pumps on the back of the tank so its viewable from three side . i have seen the new pumps and am very curious about them as i heard they are controllable and have a higher output but...

also anyone who has one have you noticed a favorable response from your corals, do these make a difference with harder to keep sps corals? polyp extension? growth rate?

basicly i'm looking to ditch the wavemaster pro for the nano wavebox and just leave the two koralia #2's along with the return for circulation with the wave box and want to hear some thoughts from people who have experience with these devices pros and cons and any other advice would be appreciated.
thanks 8-O

Old 02-23-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have used two koralias on a wavemaster pro and I cut a piece of air tubing to within 1/16 th of an inch of the exposed shaft and that stopped the slapping noise that the koralias make from the stop and go of the wavemaster. The only problem is that if the pro starts the koralia on a neg cycle it makes them run in reverse. That's where the 12v's really shine,

Old 02-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i've heard about the airline trick and tried it and expirienced the reverse starting so instead of leaving only a 1/16th of the shaft exposed i cut the ridgid tubing to a 1/4 inch lenght and a piece of soft airline to 3/8 inch and slipped it over the ridgid. this allows the impeller to bounce like without the airline but dampens the noise to almost nothing, also the soft airline slows the impeller a bit when it contacts makeing it more likely to rotate in the proper direction when it return to the magnet assembly. i also put a piece of soft airline inside the ridgid so the airline wont spin with the impeller but stays in position and fixed to the shaft. this has eliminated almost all reverse starts so far. and much of the noise.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm going to give that a try. Well I have since bought a mp-10 vortech system and removed all but the one Korallia pump. It is an amazing pump system.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

If I am not mistaken, all the wavebox does is create a back/forth surge across the tank. This range of motion does not eliminate dead spots nor push accumulated wastes upwards towards the overflows or available filtrations, which is what you aim for.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

well, i would still be using one or two power heads along with the wavebox two keep any detritus suspended until its removed by my overflow i just wouldn't use them in conjunction with a wave maker. but i would still like to hear from someone who has used one as to do they put added stress on a tank and will my inverts notice the differance

Tags
nano, nano wavebox, tunze, tunze wavebox, wave box, wavebox, wavemaker

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com