turbo snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seabassi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, weird problem the last 3 times I bought turbo snails they died in one day, I cant understand this , my tank is 5 months old, my fish are fine , my water is perfect just bought a yellow tang with the 2 snails and he is fine the snails are dead again , the only thing I can think of the acclamation process, is 1 hour drip enough ? the fish are fine with this time HELP, I have lost the last 8 snails
Thanks

What is your process of getting them into the tank? Also can we have parameters?

1 hour drip , first I float them in a bucket with my tank water that I put in the bucket then drip them for 1 hour and then put them in the tank,ammoina 0, nitrate0, nitrite 0, ph 8.0, salt 1.025, the only other thing I can think of is I take out about 3 gallons of water out of the tank to put into a bucket, float then, while they are floating i put new salt water in the tank to replace the 3 gallons i took out, could the new salt water have a affect?

Everything sounds good. I'm really not sure. Turbos may be ones that can't turn themselves back over if they flip (correct me if I'm wrong). Is that a possibility? Some drip acclimate for 2 hours+ for all inverts as they are sensitive.

On a similar note I have 20 assorted snails. One was a turbo and it died today. He's the only one that died. Hmmm.

wow, strange one died on you today,mine were on the glass yesterday after I dropped them in , they were on the glass this morning high to the top, I took them off put them on the live rock and when I came home today they were dead not upside down, now they are side ways and I will take them out in the morning (wishful thinking that they might still be alive but have not moved all day), I will try one more time if they die i am done,
Thanks

No, I use my well water, never had trouble with well water before?

agreed ^ exactly why I asked about your water. most fish will be fine. shrimp, crabs, coral, snails, urchins, etc. could be in trouble with tap/well water.

Bit of a thread-jack, so apologies - but how can you tell if your turbo died? (besides the smell!)

Sorry about your dead snails of course!

Bit of a thread-jack, so apologies - but how can you tell if your turbo died? (besides the smell!)

Sorry about your dead snails of course!

My crabs came over. Then my cleaner shrimp. turned it to its side and its body was kinda hanging out of the shell.

Oh.. lol, well, that's a pretty solid give-away. I figured it out once I saw mine with the body hanging out of the shell too... I've got one that hasn't moved in about 24 hours, so I am wondering... but then again, I have several others that also haven't moved, but I am guessing they are alive as they are still holding onto the walls....

not moving and half of the meat is out in less than 24 hours

I have had similar problems with turbos and there was a thread on here a few months back where there were a few problems with people adding turbos to there tank, again even with fish and inverts being added so not sure if theyre just not very hardy and are difficult to acclimate

An hour drip might not be enough time if you are using well water. Even though your cuc is "plug and play" they are still very sensitive to water changes. id try another batch for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs.
That is if you don't have copper levels in your water

I will try that, I just came from my LFS (salt only) he said it could be the salt level , i am at 1.025 he asked my what do i use I told him I use a hydrometer he said they are not accurate , said need to get a frac not sure why, what do you think should i invest in that?
thanks

Refractometers are supposed to be a lot more accurate but you get what you pay for

Back
Top Bottom