Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-28-2004, 01:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Turbo Snails

I recently bought 2 decent sized turbo snails for my 29 gallon tank. I had 1 turbo snail in there for about a month and the tank isnt new. i have corals and fish in there. the first one died within 5 days and the other 8 days of purchasing them. My tank has enough algae for them to feed on because when they died there was still algae on the glass. the phosphates read zero, nitrites 0 , ammonia 0 , nitrate 0-10ppm.

Old 11-28-2004, 01:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I know you need to acclimate snails very slow. I was told at my LFS that if they did not take to the acclimation properly, they would die within a week. Do you drip acclimate them over a period of an hour or so or how did you do this. Could be the problem?

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Aquascaping: 3" DSB, 50lb live rock (~35 lbs home made Cement Base Rock)
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Critters: Hawaiian feather duster, Coral Banded Shrimp, Emerald Crab
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
vertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 02:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i didnt drip acclimate them. I just added 1 ounce of water every 2 minutes for about 20 minutes. that could of been the problem
Penguin 170 filter (no wheel)
Neptune 100 heater
2xAquaclear 301 PH
25 lbs of LR and 40 lbs of LS from LFS

Fish: occelaris clown , bicolor blenny , evil blue damsel
Corals: Starburst polyp, Candy cane, Bullseye mushrooms
Cleaners: 3 margarita snails, cleaner shrimp,scarlet hermit,2 dwarf redleg hermits,2 dwarf zebra hermits
ilikefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 02:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

You're method might work but you should slow down the process and convert the water slower, that is why the drip works so well. an do it over an hour or so easily. Remember to keep the bag temp warm (place in another warm larger bucket of water if neccessary) while you drip so it doesn't cool too much...

They also need algae already in your tank so make sure your lights are on to provide them enough algae!!

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Aquascaping: 3" DSB, 50lb live rock (~35 lbs home made Cement Base Rock)
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Critters: Hawaiian feather duster, Coral Banded Shrimp, Emerald Crab
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
vertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 07:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've had mixed results with Turbos, and I drip acclimate them 2+ hours. I've found a lot of turbos to just not be a hardy species.

Tags
snail, snails, turbo, turbo snail, turbo snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com