Turf algae ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need to get rid of this algae or the reef itself. Tired of fooling with it.
I had a little spot of what appears to be turf algae on one of my rock when I purchased it nearly ten months ago. Now in the last few months, it has spread to several other rocks and is still moving. My water parms are as following: KH 13, nitrate .005 or less, phos 0. I use DI water with a protein skimmer in this 20 gal. I have not have a problem with diatom or slime algae. I have used a 175w MH light for about 7 weeks about 13 inches above the water line. The course dark green looking algae looks like maidens hair and was spreading long before the MH light. I was using 130w PC. I have purchased emerald crabs, 15 astrea snails, 1 turbo snail, scarlet leg hermits and blue leg hermits with no help at all. I have never seen any eating this algae. I purchased a small yellow tang which did nibble a little, but died after several days. It is getting where I can't see my green button polyps anymore. I think this is a macro algae, but is not wanted in this tank.
I need help if there is any out there. Thanks.

Most typical "clean up" animals will not bother with this type of algae as it is to tough. The best suggestion is try an urchin. I have a small patch of brush algae and it and the tangs keep it in check.

I would also make sure you do not have >>bryopsis<<

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom