I need to get rid of this algae or the reef itself. Tired of fooling with it.
I had a little spot of what appears to be turf algae on one of my rock when I purchased it nearly ten months ago. Now in the last few months, it has spread to several other rocks and is still moving. My water parms are as following: KH
13, nitrate .005 or less, phos 0. I use DI
water with a protein skimmer in this 20 gal
. I have not have a problem with diatom or slime algae. I have used a 175w MH
light for about 7 weeks about 13 inches above the water line. The course dark green looking algae looks like maidens hair and was spreading long before the MH
light. I was using 130w PC
. I have purchased emerald crabs, 15 astrea snails, 1 turbo snail, scarlet leg hermits and blue leg hermits with no help at all. I have never seen any eating this algae. I purchased a small yellow tang which did nibble a little, but died after several days. It is getting where I can't see my green button polyps anymore. I think this is a macro algae, but is not wanted in this tank.
I need help if there is any out there. Thanks.