Twin Spot Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StrongBad

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,
I was looking at getting a Twin Spot Goby for my 30 gallon to help clean the sand. I have a live sand substrate of about 3 inches maybe four. Is there anything I should watch out for with this little guy? Also, can I get another type of Goby like a Citron and not have any confrontations?

You should not have a problem with housing both of these fish in your tank. If I were you I would buy a Twin Spot Pair. They will spawn given right conditions in your tank. Just make sure they are a pair or they will fight. Also make sure the Twin Spot will eat prepard foods if your buying locally. Othe than that they eat from the Livesand..The citron should be no prob at all.. :wink:

(Thank God for Liveaquaria!)

He is taking big bites of sand and filtering it out the back of his gills. Is this a feeding thing? I assumed it was. Also, is there a way to get one and then try to find a mate later? Or is it a trial and error kind of thing? BTW, thank you for your response.

I wouldn't try to match/mate later. But I know it's hard to find pairs sometime. Still, try to hold out. I've been told they don't do well alone for some reason.

I had a pair, they ate prepared foods and sifted sand (feeding) all day in a mature tank, but they died anyway. Had'm for about 6 months. Maybe my sand sifter stars (who also passed along) depleted the sand of the food they needed. ANyway, I'd never get either again.

Good luck.

So I got the twin spot on thursday and love it already, i call him Sgt. Pepper.
Anyway, I really wanted a mate for him an realized he was being kept with another Twin Spot in the same small 12" x 8" x 8". (approximations) I immediately suspected they were a mated pair and called the LFS where I got my goby. The guy said he didnt know if they were mated but had shared the tank for about three weeks. My question is, if this was indeed a mated pair, is there a way to tell if I bring my other goby back? Or did I break them up for good? The LFS guy said he would hold the other one for me and let me do whatever I wanted to see if they are indeed compatible.

If they were fine in the tank before, I dont see any harm in trying to add it now. When you add it, float the bag and see how it reacts, also feed a little when you release the new guy..

Awesome, thanks Rev. I will try to get to the fish store today and try it out. I will keep you all updated.

Ok, so I put the suspected mate in a zip lock bag with some sand in the bottom and let him sit their in front of the Twin SPot currently in my tank. THey didnt seem to fight or any thing, and the one already in the tank just kind of sat next to the bag and gulped sand while the other one tried to get out periodically.

So I let the new comer out yesterday. Im not really sure what to think. They dont hang out together but dont fight. From what I was reading, a true mated pair will stay side by side with one eating while the other keeps watch for predators. Also, last night after I turned the lights off and the moonlights on I went back down to see if the new one made a burrow yet and I found him swimming around the top of the tank. I put my finger in the water next to him and he casualy swam away but still in the upper 2 or 3 inches of water. Then I turned on the main lights again and he slowly went back down to the bottom. About 5 minutes later i turned the lights off again and he made his way slowly to the top. Again I turned on the main lights and back down he went. This time he stayed there and I even checked on him at 3 am. Still on the bottom. Today he seems to be hiding in the other twin spot's burrow while the other one is out doing his job. Interesting I say!

Back
Top Bottom