twisting swimming worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sw-addict

Aquarium Advice Freak
Its late at night and I'm watching my tank again my attnics are still on and I see this little white thing just haulin @## across my tank. It propels itself by twisting like a corkscrew and looks like a white bristle worm with a light grey tail section. Well I caught it in a test vial, because in the tank photo just looked like a blur. I have a pic but dont know how to post so my avitar is the pic for a few days, its the best shot I can get. Should I keep this worm out of my display? What the heck is it? And can sombody explain how to post a pic? Please explain pic part like I am 3.

I have a worm that propels itself like you described, except it doesn't look like a bristle worm; mine just looks white. I just left him in there. I figure even if he is a 'bad' worm, there are probably other, worse things in there I DON"T know about. :p

Mine was white too. When I got him out of the tank I noticed all the britles or feet, and he had a light grey tail. By the time I figured out how to post pics I had already put it back in the tank. If I see him again I will post the pic here I promise.

Found this thread in a seach...

I have some of these in my tank. About 1 inch long, kinda like a Brisleworm with a lighter colored tail section. Any ideas on what these are? I had 3 going around in my tank at one time with the lights off, all corksrewing away. I even watched one get sucked right through a powerhead 0X I checked a couple houres later and they were all back down in the substrate. Or killed by the powerhead.

the most common answer that I recieved was reefrunners answer epitoke. If I remember right its a larval stage of a worm in my case I belive bristle worm. I have had alot of them scince then and decided they must not be bad.

i have a couple little orange coloured ones that my cardinals eat while im tryin to watch them cought a couple and got rid of them but just leave them in thier now

I changed my filter floss yesterday and there were three worms trapped in it. I tried to free them with no luck. After going through the impeller, they got a little munched up and the remaining worm sections became totally entwined in the floss.

As a result, I will no longer use filter floss :roll: I just have a course sponge, which any worm would be able to get through just fine. Maybe the worms could just stay in the gravel? :p

be careful when touching those, the little hairs will release from the worm and into your skin and that hurts. I read somewhere that the hairs are designed to work their way deeper and deeper into your skin the more you move. I bumped one while aquascaping one time and started pulling the hairs with tweezers and they did not want to come out, they caused me pain for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom