Two 18" lights sufficient for a 40g breeder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reptileguy112

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 40g breeder tank with an 18" aqueon 9,000K light and an 18" coralife 10,000K super daylight. Is that enough light to have sps corals? My birds nest frag (I got just a couple days ago) is turning white on the bottom and on the branches and I am not sure why, is it from the move? It is about 12" from the lights and the lights are shining through a 1/4" acrylic lid. Do I need to get some MH lights or is what I have fine? :thanks:

I would say no, not enough light. I have a 40b and have a led fixture over it, the orbits, and while they are good for most every coral they lack enough punch for SPS as well.

You should look into the led panels on ebay. They run less than $100 each and one panel would let you literally keep anything you like.

SPS require TONS of lights. This is not enough. Also, the spectrum is not enough blue.

I would switch to LEDs

I have an led fixture that used to work but now it wont turn on.It has 5x20 lights or something. Maybe i could fix it. Would a dimming light really be necessary though?

Back
Top Bottom