Two Lil Fishies Kalk vs Ball's Pickling Lime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, for years I have been using LFS bought kalk, either Kents of TLF, when I finally learned about Pickling Lime, I was using my current 1 lb of TLF kalk. Well that's gone and the little woman picked me up a lb of Ball's Pickling Lime at the grocers and I need to make some kalk for the tank. Is there a noticable difference in potency of the two. I am currently using 2 tsp per gallon of RO water spiked with 2 tsp of vinegar. If I do the same with the Ball's, am I going to see CA and ALK levels decline?

I haven't seen any adverse effects. It's food grade so there aren't too many heavy metals and poisonous substances. Whos knows what grade the commercial kalkwasser's CaHO is? Been using it for a LONG time. I spike with a healthy amount of vinigar too.
You worry too much. :wink:

I was using Mrs Wages pickling lime and tried some Seachem stuff that was sent to me and I didnt notice any difference in either one... They both mixed and worked the same... If you want to pay for shipping and package you can have my seachem Stuff.. Its almost full.. Hell I hook ya up with my Mrs Wages stuff as well for cost that I paid online like 1.85lb plus actual shipping LOL.. I have 3 bags left.. like $13.00 total at most will get you my remaining 3 bags/lbs of lime plus the Seachem stuff LOL.. Like you told me Save the money and use the Food grade stuff LOL..

James

I am learning all about the things needed to keep a sucessful saltwater tank. I am alittle confused as to what you would use kalk for and what type of creatures are needing this in the tank. I have used this pickling lime before in other things :oops: but haven't caught on the tank usage!
Could someone put a light on this for me!!
Thank you :!:
Micky07

Reef Tanks require Calcium and Alkalinity.. and they usually say between 8-12 DKH for Alk and 350-450 for Calcium... When you have SPS, clams, coraline, LPS and such they use up the Calcium and Alk.. What Kalk or pickling lime does is replace both Ca and Alk if dosed rather slowly (dripped) in a balanced method... Most ppl normally Dose nightly but all depends on the levels of the tank... And they usually dose 1 tbsp per Gal of RO and replace it as their Top off water... If you evaporate 3gpd then kalk would be 3tbsp to 3g and dripped in over a period of 8-12hrs or so... Therefore making it so you dont have to do as much dosing if any of Ca and Alk supplements such and ESVs bionic or C-balance... It also Precips phosphates out of the system as well..

HTH<
James

James,
Thanks for the quick reply!
My next question I didn't add before was this. what is the vinegar for? I know it is acidic. I am sure it is white vinegar you would use.
Thanks for the help me understand this all.
Micky07

The vinegar actually raises the levels of Calcium that can be dissolved out of the Kalk... For ppl like Kevin who have alot of SPS and like to get as much bang for the buck it works quite well... Most dont Use vinegar but for hevilly stocked tanks it helps if you eat up alot of calcium. I used to use vinegar on my tank but I just couldnt keep up with my depletion rates no matter what I did LOL.. So I got me a Ca reactor...

HTH,
James

Yes Kalk does keep the PH up.. Most drip it at night to try and avoid Ph swings... When dripping kalk its semi normal for your ph to be between 8.3 and 8.5

As for your pH do you have glass lids on your tank? If so remove them.. that will help.. Are you testing in the morning or the evening.. Your ph will ALWAYS be lower in the morning due to the Co2 release from the fish... A good morning pH is about 8.0 with late evening being 8.2-8.3 My tank personally varies between 8.1 and 8.3 Also another thing Open a window or a door in your house and test a few hours later.. If your ph goes up from before you open the door your House may have a high saturation of Co2.. In my case thats a true factor.. I always have to have a window open otherwise my ph drops 1-2 points... Also increase water surface movement.. It will help co2/O2 exchange at the surface..

HTH<
James

Back
Top Bottom