Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Two part question: heaters and lights

I have a couple questions, first my tank has been up for almost a year ( went by way 2 fast) and I have power compact lights and was wondering when should I replace the bulbs? According to a link on the doctors web page the bulbs are good from anywhere from 12-28 months. When will I know when they need changing, when they burn out?

Also as far as heaters, can anyone reccomend a good solid reliable heater for a 75 gallon tank. I have had bad luck with 2 stealth heaters, I cant seem to get a solid consistant temp with them and would really appreciate some reccomendations !

JoshsReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
From what I have been told and thru reading...CF bulbs should be replaced every 6 months (regardless if they still work or not). I use that schedule just to be on the safe side. Other may disagree.

As for heaters..the temp is going to fluctuate as the day goes on. Your lights will raise the temp, then after lights out the temp will drop to whatever your heaters are set at. Maybe you don't have enough watts per gallon of heating. My 100W stealth says up to 30 gallons. But I added another 50W just to be sure.

usmcmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

PC lamps should be replaced every 6 - 9 months. T5's have a 12-18 month life span.

I also think you should have two heaters. Don't go by the setting on the heater as they are very inaccurate. It can take a few days to get the heaters dialed in.

Oversize your heater slightly. Check out the heater guide to properly size your heater to the temp differential of the tank and room.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Agree that maybe the heater was a little underpowered. On my saltwater mix tank, I always seemed to have problems with consistent temps. I finally put a bigger heater in and it stabilized. Also agree that going with two heaters is a safer option.

I change out my PC tubes every 6 months, like clockwork. I'm always amazed at the difference it makes in the look of the tank when I put in new bulbs. You just don't realize how much they fade/color shift until you put new ones in. You don't just want to run them until they burn out. It's the shift in color spectrum and intensity that cause replacement.
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree with the lighting.
I really like the finnex titanium heaters.
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, eater, heaters, light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com