Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Two q's- coral banded & stocking

okay I have a 75 gallon reef tank which so far has:

5x perc clowns (4 orange, 1 black)
1x valentini puffer (very small)
1x longnose butterfly (also quite small)
1x coral banded shrimp

I have two questions:

1. I'm looking for another fish to add to this set up. I was originally going to go with a yellow tang, but with the longnose butterfly im thinking the tank will look too yellow. Would any tang be suitable in a 75g? Looking for a lively, colourful fish. Any input would be much appreciated!

2. My coral banded shrimp recently shedded and lost his arm during the process. I understand that this is quite normal. Just wondering how long it would take to grow back? He has been a bit shy since. I've been supplementing his food with garlic, hoping it will make him a bit stronger.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
5 clowns! 0.o That's not good first of all. You'll get some aggression when the clowns reach their adulthood

I believe puffers aren't reef safe

About tangs, look at their requirments/coloration online at:

www.liveaquaria.com
www.fantasyreef.com
www.marinedepotlive.com

Your shrimp won't actually "grow" back its arm. He'll get a new arm when he sheds next time

Old 07-14-2006, 10:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

FF is right about the clowns and the puffers. As far as your butterfly, I dont think that is reef safe either. I would recommend getting rid of at least 3 clowns, your puffer, and maybe your longnose butterfly. Your puffer with start eating your snails and hermits if it hasn't already. Your clowns with too aggressive with each other like FF said. And your butterfly will also start nipping at your hermits. You have to watch out for CBS as well as they can nip at your corals. They dont all the time and it really depends on your shrimp but just keep an eye on it.

Now for your questions

1.I personally like the Kole yellow eye tang. Maybe an option for you? Tangs need a lot of swimming room. I think you should be okay with a smaller tang though.

2.Like FF said, it will grow back the next time it sheds. Nothing to worry about though.

HTH
Old 07-14-2006, 10:52 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I agree w/ the clowns. Some people have successfully kept two pairs in large tanks (larger than 75 gallons) but I don't see 5 living happily in there. When they start pairing off you are going to have issues. For reference, usually one pair is all that can be sustained in a tank.

About the CBS, it's normal for them to hide out after shedding. Heck, mine hid most of the day and scavenged at night all the time. Give it some time and it'll be good as new.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I've had my puffer and shrimp for about 2-3 months now. Neither has shown any interest towards my corals or snails.
My LFS said the longnose shouldn;t eat my corals, and if it does it will only peck. not completely destroy.
The clowns have been living well together for many months, I added them all at the same time so none of them is "boss". I'll keep an eye out for aggression though, if they do start being too aggressive I'll put some in my 12g.

Thanks for the links, good info.

Anyone had any experience with longnose hawkfish?
Old 07-14-2006, 11:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Long nose and copperband BF's are the only 2 BF's that are reefsafe w/ cautious as they might nip at small polyps occasionally but won't kill the corals. Your LFS is right. They prefer meaty food. The only thing you should be worried about is that they will destroy every single tubeworms you have.

I've read a book about clownfish and it said false perc clowns are the only clowns that you can keep more than 2 in standard tank (not those 300G+ 0.o). Only one mated pair will form and the others will keep their distance from the pair. I think you should at least return your black clown. The perc clowns that you have might be false perc so you might get away with 4 in your tank.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hello all,

I too have 5 clowns in my 80g tank. I did the same as bonnie3188, added them all at once, and all were the same size. My clowns have been living happily without aggression for over a year, so don't tell her that she has to take back her fish when she wasn't even posting a question about that.
Evidently, her fish are getting along fine or she would either not have them, or would be posting a question about it!
Don't jump to conclusions.

With regards to the reef safe fish, it all depends on the individual fish, and evidently she has had luck with her purchases. Again, she was not posting a question about that!!

NOW! Onto the questions......

1. How about a convict, scopas, or tomini tang? All of them should be alright in a 75g as long as no other fish will be added (you're bio-load will be maxed out). Or other than tangs, bannerfish are quite friendly, or foxface lo.

2. Yeah it should come back with the next shedding.

HTH
Old 07-15-2006, 11:04 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just trying to help her out... Not beating anyone up. From my knowledge, mixing dif. species of clowns and having more than 1 pair in 1 tank is a bad idea. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:11 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
bonnie, lilly. Nobody was jumping to conclusions so please don't take it as such. There are many people on this forum who have tried adding more than one pair of clowns and have had complete destruction. And like I mentioned in my post, some have had success. We are looking out for potential problems and bringing them to someones knowledge incase they didn' t know about it. I don't see a problem in trying to help, questions asked or not.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ditto fishfrik and Devilishturtles! I personally enjoy any and ALL added info. Since we're not actually in a round table discussion setting, it's nice that topics etc. are covered across the board. That's how we all learn from one another. Case in point, now bonnie3188 knows to be on the lookout for aggression, instead of potentially finding out the hard way. I now know that I, as a sw novice, should try only one pair of clowns. Kuddos to Fishfrik and Devilishturtles!

Tags
coral, coral banded, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com