Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2004, 03:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

So dumb question, do you guys just leave the shells in there after a molt? A couple of my shrimp have molted recently and the shells just miraculously dissapeared...

Old 03-31-2004, 04:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have to respectfully disagree with reefrunner. I was told, as you are being told now, that Iodine is not nessisary...you can just do water changes and it will take care of its self. So I tested it. I quit dosing Loguls for one month. There was a dramatic difference in my Xenia...and other corals were showing signs of "fatigue" (for lack of a better word). I dose loguls on a regular basis, but in low amounts.

As far as the pep molting...it is my understanding that crabs and shrimp molt when they are growing (among other reasons). It has been my experience that the younger the crustatian, the more often it will molt. This makes sense if you are looking at it from a "growth" stand point. When do humans grow more, young or old? Obviously when we are young we grow the most. Same here. Young peps molt more because they are growing faster and therefore need to change "skins" more often.

I will agree with Reef on one point...no need to be confused...I'm right

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 04:59 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

LOL, tell it to Bang Guy, that's where I learned what I know about iodine

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 06:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

That cant be right...I taught Bang everything he knows!

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 07:11 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...ghlight=iodine

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 09:51 PM   #16
steve-s

Iodine in Marine Aquaria: Part I By Randy Holmes-Farley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
Who uses iodine: Shrimp

As one moves up the food chain to more sophisticated organisms, data on their ability to take up iodine from the water column becomes very sparse. Shrimp are known to have a need for iodine to grow, but that is only known in terms of a dietary requirement. The shrimp, Penaeus chinensis O'sbeck, for example, grows optimally when the diet contains 0.003% iodine.56

Shrimp apparently incorporate substantial amounts of iodoorganics into their bodies. The shrimp Pandalus borealis, for example, incorporates between 0.04 and 2 ppm iodine as iodoorganic compounds depending on the particular body tissues examined. Their roe were somewhat higher, up to 4 ppm iodine as iodoorganic compounds.57 Shrimp shells and other parts can contain up to 17 ppm by dry weight iodine, the majority of which is iodoorganic compounds58, but the values are still far lower than for other inverts like macroalgae, sponges, or gorgonia.

Still, the amount contained says nothing about whether iodine is an important requirement. I could find no scientific studies that showed that shrimp need iodine from the water column, but neither could I find any that demonstrates that they do not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley
Who uses iodine: soft corals such as Xenia

Surely, you say, there must be studies showing that Xenia and other soft corals need iodine from the water column? Well, I could find none. There may be studies that I could not find, and regardless of whether there are studies, iodine in the water column may or may not have a significant impact on these organisms. Nevertheless, there is no published basis (that I could find) for many of the claims about iodine.

There are studies that show that Xenia does contain substantial iodine, and it is likely that it got it from the water column, but what good, if any, that iodine serves is unknown. In a recent publication, Ron Shimek showed that a wild specimen of Xenia sp. contained 350 ppm iodine on a wet basis and a captive specimen showed 270 ppm on a wet basis and 1350 ppm on a dry basis.29 Those values are as high as some of the macroalgae, and lend some support to the idea that Xenia accumulate iodine (and presumably have a use for it at such high accumulations).

Of course, accumulating iodine from the tank somehow, and showing that supplemental inorganic iodine is beneficial are very different. I am in the planning stages of running experiments on the possible benefits of iodine supplementation to certain soft corals, but the technical challenges are significant (much more so than similar tests on macroalgae), and I’m not certain that they will be successful.
Also if interested...
Iodine in Reef Tanks 2: Effects on Macroalgae Growth By Randy Holmes-Farley

Cheers
Steve

Tags
rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com