Two questions...... one about algae .... one about acclimati

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok....... Still having problems with diatom "brown" algae.... it's outta control... my tank is less than six months old though... will this go away???

Second....... I've had some deaths lately... one of which being a fire shrimp... just wondering if you don't acclimate something well enough, will it die within the first few days or does it take longer???

Improper acclimation can kill in a matter of hours(trust me I found out the hard way) Do you use ro water or just regular tap?

Re: Two questions...... one about algae .... one about accli

c0mf0rt said:
Ok....... Still having problems with diatom "brown" algae.... it's outta control... my tank is less than six months old though... will this go away???

What kind of lighting do you have? Diatoms usually fade out in the first few months. If your lighting is NO you can use some Astraea snails to eat the diatoms.

I had NO until a week ago and switched to PC..... I picked up a few more snail today... I'm not sure what kind though... I thought they were turbos but they have "spikes" around the rims of the loops on the shell.... any ideas??? So if things aren't aclimated correctly they should die pretty quick then????? Not after weeks?????

I improperly acclimatised a couple shrimp when I first started actually it was a cleaner shrimp twice and it was the first thing I bought for my tank and they both died. They were dead by morning so I don't think it would be weeks. Your shrimp just died? You should check your parameters.

Things haven't changed...... I had a few problems with nitrates a while back but they are around the 20 range now..... really unexpected.....

I just noticed you mentioned deaths what else have you lost? Have you noticed any aggression at all? Sometimes coral banded shrimp can get feisty

my coral banded hides during the day.... he is a little fiesty though.... not sure what he's up to at night.... usually I'd find them in the morning on their backs and set them upright and they just don't move for a day or two and I take them out before my tank loads up on nitrates...... no real signs of being attacked or anything....

He might have gotten nasty at night. Sometimes even if there isn't actual abuse going on the stress of aggression can cause death.

Back
Top Bottom