Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2004, 08:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Two questions...... one about algae .... one about acclimati

Ok....... Still having problems with diatom "brown" algae.... it's outta control... my tank is less than six months old though... will this go away???

Second....... I've had some deaths lately... one of which being a fire shrimp... just wondering if you don't acclimate something well enough, will it die within the first few days or does it take longer???

Old 11-04-2004, 10:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Improper acclimation can kill in a matter of hours(trust me I found out the hard way) Do you use ro water or just regular tap?

Old 11-04-2004, 10:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Re: Two questions...... one about algae .... one about accli

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0mf0rt
Ok....... Still having problems with diatom "brown" algae.... it's outta control... my tank is less than six months old though... will this go away???
What kind of lighting do you have? Diatoms usually fade out in the first few months. If your lighting is NO you can use some Astraea snails to eat the diatoms.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had NO until a week ago and switched to PC..... I picked up a few more snail today... I'm not sure what kind though... I thought they were turbos but they have "spikes" around the rims of the loops on the shell.... any ideas??? So if things aren't aclimated correctly they should die pretty quick then????? Not after weeks?????
Old 11-04-2004, 11:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I improperly acclimatised a couple shrimp when I first started actually it was a cleaner shrimp twice and it was the first thing I bought for my tank and they both died. They were dead by morning so I don't think it would be weeks. Your shrimp just died? You should check your parameters.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Things haven't changed...... I had a few problems with nitrates a while back but they are around the 20 range now..... really unexpected.....
Old 11-04-2004, 11:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What else do you have in your tank
Old 11-05-2004, 12:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

check my profile....
Old 11-05-2004, 12:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just noticed you mentioned deaths what else have you lost? Have you noticed any aggression at all? Sometimes coral banded shrimp can get feisty
Old 11-05-2004, 12:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my coral banded hides during the day.... he is a little fiesty though.... not sure what he's up to at night.... usually I'd find them in the morning on their backs and set them upright and they just don't move for a day or two and I take them out before my tank loads up on nitrates...... no real signs of being attacked or anything....

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com