Two tangs in my 75 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmgriff72

Aquarium Advice Activist
Speaking of tangs, I want to get a yellow tang and maybe a blue tang. My question is, I have a 75 gallon tank, can I put 2 tangs in the tank. Other than fighting is this going to be enough room for 2?

My future fish before the tang hope to include:

3 chromis
2 FP clowns
1 lawnmower blenny
1 purple firefish or bi-colored blenny
or possibly a long-horned cowfish instead of the above firefish/blenny
1 yellow tang
1 blue tang

I can sale the chromis if needed. I just got them to make sure that something lived before putting in something expensive like last time.

Yes, I know they are very territorial. I also have not had my tank long and need to wait much longer before adding in a tang. I was just curious and looking into my future. I will probably get a yellow since they seem to be the most hardiest. Besides the tang, does my list of future fish above seem to be ok or is it too much of a bioload?

kmgriff72 said:
Besides the tang, does my list of future fish above seem to be ok or is it too much of a bioload?

It looks sensible to me. I thought about adding another tang to a 75 but decided against it. I have a good sized yellow tang now and thought about a regal blue but I'd hate to see it harassed by my favorite fish. Also, some think that a 75 isn't adequate enough for a hippo and while that's debatable, you're really pushing it doing two tangs in a 75. I opted to go with a flame angel instead and I'm happy that I did. After only one day of the tang "explaining" to the angel where his favorite cave is, everyone gets along fine...

That's funny..... I know I am a long way off for a tang however that doesn't stop me slobbering all over them at the LFS.....lol. Thanks for the advice.

kmgriff72 said:
That's funny..... I know I am a long way off for a tang however that doesn't stop me slobbering all over them at the LFS.....lol. Thanks for the advice.

I completely understand. Every time I see a nice Powder Blue or Blonde Naso, thoughts like, "if I just take out that wall I could easily fit a 200 gallon tank in my dining room"...

I know what you mean. I never would have thought I would become this obsessed over fish....lol.

kmgriff72 said:
I know what you mean. I never would have thought I would become this obsessed over fish....lol.

i think thats what we all thought :lol:

Just because my little boy ask if he can stay in the car when I go to the LFS does not mean I am obsessed.....Does it? :lol:

I think that combo of tangs will not do good but I think a yellow and a kole tang might work. It did for me in my 55 for several years.

Blue Hippo, although it is susceptible to ich, is to me a very hardy tang, to tell you the truth.

The longhorn cowfish is a cute addition but they do get big. Since the shape is so odd, beginners love to have one. I used to have one. But it poops huge amounts of waste so I got rid of it, along with my puffers, file fish, and others.

For some reason, I wasn't successful in keeping a yellow tang. But the blue tang? I've had it for a year now and it is just happy. A cute fellow.

Nonetheless, I am hoping to get a 150G sometimes after the summer (hopefully, if the Mrs wouldn't nag about it).

Back
Top Bottom