Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2005, 11:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

two things

Hi all, i was just wondering, what is a good way of getting phosphates down and keeping them down, right now i am forced to always use tap water, since its free, and i have a feeling thats the source, without a test kit though i cant be sure, but i will be getting one soon, and when i do if that tests high plus my tank, what are some things to do to keep the phosphates down, any chemicals or anything like that?

Also, i have a aquaclear 50 being used as my return from my sump, i was wondering, could i take the two 301s out of the main and put them in the sump as returns as well, i want the flow but they look terrible, and if i could set them up down there and its work, i cant see why i wouldnt do it,i think they would be able to get the water up there, but it will be slow coming out, which ive read is better to have high flow but low velocity, so any ideas on this working, or will all three drain the sump too fast for the overflow, i think the overflow is like 600 gph, but im not sure, its a standard regular overflow i guess, i dont know how to determine the gph of one

Old 01-24-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Macro algae in your sump will help with the phosphates as long as you can provide some light for it to grow.....

Not to sure about the PH in the sump idea.... I'm pretty sure you want that flow IN your main... You can always hide them using LR..

Old 01-24-2005, 11:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

One way of getting phosphates down is growing some nice macro algea, the algea should remove most of the phosphate in the water. Secondly, you could buy a phosphate sponge or some phosphate removing media to place in a filter, or just in a sock hanging in your sump. As for using the other pumps as return pumps, that is fine, but you have to take into acount head room, ie the pumps have to pump water up a certain height, this reduces there overall flow potential. Another good investment would be a better skimmer, this wont remove phosphates from your water source, but will remove DOCs before they can contribute to your phosphate problem. Alternatively go to walmart and purchase distilled water at 57 cents a gallon (my current route).
3x penguin 1140 ph
2x65 10,000K and 2x65 03 Acintic
40lbs cc/30lbs argonite sand mixture
80lbs keys rock (www.liverocks.com awesome stuff)
25lbs fiji/tonga lr
10lbs lace base rock (now hapily live with lots of coraline growth)
lziarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Other than the macro algea suggestion, tap water will remain a problem most likely.

How old is the tank? Think you'll be able to do the 1.5 lbs of rock for each gallon of water?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

im working on saving up for live rock, the tank is probably 2 and a half months old, my sump is also a fuge incorporated, and ive got some caulerpa in it, not much at all, its lit 24/7 and i have a skimmer, which does seem to working well, thanjks
Old 01-24-2005, 12:19 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I've also used RowaPhos. Put it in my fuge to get'm down, but keeping them down is more about not using tap water is possible.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

hmm, guess ill need to get an r/o unit sooner than i was planning, how much is a decent unit, i know very little about these, what are some things i should look for in a good unit, and what is a general price range, or if someone could jsut direct me to a thread that talks about this stuff thatd be helpful too, thanks all
Old 01-24-2005, 02:59 PM   #8
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Phosphates are said to be carried out of the system by air bubbles. T

My large tank has a bubble curtain ( mainly because my family likes the way it looks. ) My daughter's smaller tank had no airstone. Same water supply ( tap ). Daughter's tank huge cyano problem ( most likely due to phosphates). My tank - no problems at all.

Upgraded daughter's tank and included air stone - no cyano.

Just a thought.

JG
Old 01-24-2005, 07:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
rodi can be had off ebay for 85 or so or 120 with the pressure tank and faucet (my personal recommendation. very convenient). either filterdirect or aquasafe canada are both good vendors from what I've heard

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com