two tragedys happend at once

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mistaflicksta

Aquarium Advice Regular
About two weeks ago I bought a pistol shrimp that was about 1.5 inches long. I had bought him to see if he would pair up with my watchman goby. Well imediately things didnt go as I wanted. The shrimp kicked the goby out and took its cave, that cave also leads to where my cleaner wrasse slept. Two days later I noticed that the cleaner wrasse was missing both its left and right fins I also noticed that there was a skunk cleaner shrimp missing. On the third day the cleaner wrasse was half eaten in front step of the pistols cave. on the fourth day I bought another cleaner wrasse and when I was putting it in noticed that there was another cleaner shrimp missing. On the fifth day I noticed that my dersa clam was clompletely closed the whole day. I sat in front of the tank for a while to see what was going on with the tank ( after checking all parameters) Well I quickly found my new cleaner wrasse nipping at the clam. Soon after I was following my 6 line wrasse to see if he was the one behind the shrimp and snail deaths. The 6 line wrasse swam up to the cave opening and was nipping at something on the rock when a click went off and the wrasse went down then I saw the killer on the move, it was the pistol shrimp. He quickly ran out to get the wrasse and drug it into the cave.

I decided at that moment to break the tank down and get both the wrasse and the pistol out, I also decided to take a fire shrimp out that I only see in the mornings when I turn the lights on ( figured I would take them to the lfs and trade them in for something). I tore the cave open and found the two cleaner shrimp shells and the fire shrimp half eaten, I also found the 6 line dead.

Well I traded the cleaner wrasse and the pistol for two cleaner shrimp and rearanged my tank. The only other casualty due to stress was a green chromis.

There are alot things that happen in in saltwater tanks that make people quit but those things make me love the hobby even more. LOL!

live and learn thats what I say! too bad learning costs so much! LOL!:gangsta:

Boy that is one series of unfortunate events lol. At least you got to see the pistol shrimp in action :D lol.

that is kinda what they (pistol shrimp) are expected to do...

Back
Top Bottom