two yellow faced gobies not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spaz0177

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a tank 3 months old and the other fish are eating everything I put in. I can't figure out how to get food to them and not cause an amonia spike. They are getting extremely skinny. Need help.

I am sorry you misunderstand the question. They want to eat they just can't get the food because others are eating it first. I am worried because of the amount of food i may have to put in because of an ammonia spike.

Any chance you can update "my info" with your tank specs/equippment and critters, from the home page?

Got it, also you didn't answer my question if it is a Sleeper Gold Head Goby and what are you feeding. These fish mostly feed by sifting nutrients out of the sand and require mature tanks of at least 6+ months. If they eagerly feed (or want to at least) then it's not as critical though.

Filling in your "My Info" would be helpful so we don't have to ask basic questions like tank size, lighting, filtration, inhabitants, ect..

i.e. Your list in another post:
120 gallon
165 # of live rock

4 damsels
1 blenny
2 yellow faced gobies
1 female swallowtail angel
1 naso tang
1 kole tang
3 scissortail gobies

Your tangs are going to mostly focus on your daily feeding of seaweed so the only fish they are competing with are the damsels, blenny, angel and other gobies.

With the size of the tank and the amount of lr you have your gobies will get most of their nutrition from sifting the nutrients out of the sand and should require very little extra food.

Feeding on opposite sides of the tank at the same time generally helps shy fish get the food they need. Also is the food you are feeding reaching the bottom since these types of fish are not aggressive eaters that come to the surface like your damsels are for example.

120 gallon tank. 165#s of live rock, 2 inch sand bed. Water parameters are perfect. They want to eat, but cant get food to them unless a way way overfeed. They are getting extremely skinny

4 damsels
1 kole
1 naso
1 blenny
1 swallowtail angel
3 scissortail gobies.
2 yellow faced, or sleeper gold head goby

any advice is appreciated

You mention not being able to get food to them so I will assume that they are hovering around their den in hopes of a passing meal? If this is the case you can simply spot feed by putting a small diameter tube (pvc works well and is cheap), enough to pass food through, outside or just inside their den where the meal can sink down without being eaten or seen by other fish. Eventually, the fish will recognize the pvc as a food source during every feeding, but it may take some getting used to. Good luck :)

extremely sad to report. one of the gobies has died. I am going to do whatever I can to save the other one.

Sorry to hear that :( Any visible signs of illness on either fish?

Back
Top Bottom