Tylers 26 gallon bowfront reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tysob44

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I have posted a couple questions in the getting started section but I figure I will just start a common thread about my tank in general... It's a 26 gallon bowfront that is in the process of cycling it will be my first salt/reef tank I am very excited but this patience thing is killing me...

I have a 26 bow I've been thinking of converting to a frag grow out tank, it's currently FW planted. what filtration and lighting do you plan to use?

I plan on getting a 24" 4 bulb t5ho and as far as filtration I would like to go mainly Lr and water changes... This is kind of my tester tank if all goes well hopefully getting a 120g

Also currently I have a I think vinyl background on the back but it has this bubbled look to it what is the proper way to adhere it or is it just easier to paint

when I set up my planted bow I found a decent chinese 4 bulb t5ho fixture that has been reliable for the last 1 1/2 years for @ $75 on eBay

I can pick up a oddysea quad t5 for 89 with bulbs from lfs

Am I cycled?

Attachments

• image-3921684318.jpg
    image-3921684318.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 96
  • image-1251632909.jpg
    image-1251632909.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 108
  • image-4608567.jpg
    image-4608567.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 117
Cant tell with the strips u need liquid ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests to be fully sure. Those strip tests. Are inaccurate

Cant tell with the strips u need liquid ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests to be fully sure. Those strip tests. Are inaccurate

+1 on that

I use API liquid kits for both freshwater and saltwater and I can tell you if, you order them online they are cheaper for the saltwater master kit my lfs wants $45 I ordered it for $20

I agree 100% but at the moment don't have the flow to buy it so I am using what I have

Yep agreed. I am currently in the process of switching test kits from api to seachem.

API kits have their faults but a lfs, that only deals with fish and especially saltwater fish and coral uses api kits so I'll use then

I never had a problem with api either. But im looking into different companies to see which one gives me best of luck

So back to my stupid strips the nitrite square stayed white to me does that mean there is none or can I not test that at all

If your nitrite level is 0, which is very possible, and you have a elevated Nitrate level, then, yes, your probably cycled.If they're both at 0, which is hard to tell in the photo, then your cycle hasn't gotten vary far. But it looks like you may have nitrate, which is a good thing.

how did you start your cycle???? what did you use?

i don't see an ammonia test...

in this hobby you need a lot of patience my friend.

Back
Top Bottom