Type of algae??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sgc1107

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got a small section growing want to make sure it's now a bad algae while its small! It's purple/maroon colored, and looks slightly fuzzy. When it started nothing was near it.

Attachments

• image-1277969406.jpg
    image-1277969406.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 127
Is it slimy? If so it's cyano. It's a bacteria not an algae if it is. It's a result of excess nutrients.

crister13 said:
Is it slimy? If so it's cyano. It's a bacteria not an algae if it is. It's a result of excess nutrients.

Don't know guess ill have to touch it when I get home. Lol

neon yellow green algae?

I saw your pic I remembered my dilemma earlier until the guy from lfs told me it's algae, my phosphate is .25ppm and it looks nice to me. Will I be bothered with this algae? I'm new to SW..

IMG_1575 - Version 2.jpg

Don't hijack his thread, but yes it's a bad sign of excess nutrients which are not good. Some corals stop growing at 0.05 phosphates so get that down.

crister13 said:
Don't hijack his thread, but yes it's a bad sign of excess nutrients which are not good. Some corals stop growing at 0.05 phosphates so get that down.

Can you explain the term nutrient? As a human I know what it means but how are nutrients comparable in a tank, food? Or other things too.

/QUOTE]

I think he was referring to the trace elements that we added in our aquarium for the corrals :fish2:

No I wasn't. I'm referring to decaying foods, fish poop and such. Pretty much you need to feed less, get a better filter, or do more water changes.

crister13 said:
No I wasn't. I'm referring to decaying foods, fish poop and such. Pretty much you need to feed less, get a better filter, or do more water changes.

I just cut back on feeding thinking this was my problem. I have a sump with refug so I thins my filtration is good, and I do 5gl water changed (55gl tank) weekly. I'm thinking its over feeding.

Back
Top Bottom