Types of filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJ-MIK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are people doing for filtration? I've heard both ways. Use live rock only. No filter pads. Or just live rock. No filter pads at all. Right now I'm using filter pads before and after my fuge.. Of course fuge is built into my sump.. Debating on whether to take the filter pad out before the fuge.. Will help anything like Copepods or small animals to enter the fuge safely... What are some thoughts?

Wow I messed that one up...... Haha live Rock and filter pads. Or live rock with no filter pads

If you filter you want to do it before the fuge not after.

Before blocks detritus from getting into the huge. If you did it after it blocks copepods from getting out.

But if you filter before.. The pods can't make it to the fuge.. Or will they? I just noticed thousands of pods swimming and clinging to the glass last night. Wind the filter get rid of them?

wherever the filter is you will reduce pods from traveling past. In most cases the fuge is a safe place for pods where there are no predators. This allows them to grow and flourish, and if you do not filter after the fuge - you will allow them to get pumped into the main display for nutrients/food.

So filter after fuge n if needed just scoop some out.. I'm noticing a crap ton inmy tank today! There even in the fuge already.. I have one fish.. Sm chromis. And he is going to town on the pods!! Hope he saves some so I can get my manderin!!!!! Haha

i still do not think you want to filter after your fuge. You will trap life in it and there will be no way for your other filtration to get it out. Especially with a filter before and after.

The fuge will just be a nitrate factory.

I kinda disagree with you here. Personally I don't run a sponge after my fuge unless I'm doing maintenance or something but I have found that your pods will have a massive colony in your sponges and filter. Reefs2go.com actually sends their pods with filters in the bag for them so they have no problem traveling in/thru them.

I kinda disagree with you here. Personally I don't run a sponge after my fuge unless I'm doing maintenance or something but I have found that your pods will have a massive colony in your sponges and filter. Reefs2go.com actually sends their pods with filters in the bag for them so they have no problem traveling in/thru them.

I have a filter in my bubble trap after my refugium and I still see pods in my tank. Now, does it reduce there mobility? Probably, but for me it's another spot for bacteria to grow and also stands as an extra barrier to catch unwanted material from entering my DT

That's what I was thinking. I want to get a larger pourus sponge so pods cad travel thru but stop most other debri.. My macro has been loosing small pieces n going into the display.. N the pad I have there now is full of nastiness!! I clean it weekly

I have a filter in my bubble trap after my refugium and I still see pods in my tank. Now, does it reduce there mobility? Probably, but for me it's another spot for bacteria to grow and also stands as an extra barrier to catch unwanted material from entering my DT

Yeah the certainly makes sense

Back
Top Bottom