Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

u.v. reef safe?

have been battling hair algae for some time now..Tried everything!
reduced feeding, Increased skimming, using ro/di water, frequent water changes, reduced photo period, addition of larger clean up crew(including lawnmower blenny that doesn't mow ) physically removed almost all of the algae, but it just comes back. water parameters are fine, 0 phosphates, 0 nitrates. everything seems right, all inhabitants healthy and happy. have recently thought about adding a u.v. sterilizer. two questions..

will this help my situation

will this harm my corals (currently only star polyps, shrooms, and button polyps, more to come once this problem is solved)

Also, if anyone has any input as to why i'm having this problem, i would greatly appreciate it

72gal
running for just over a year
current orbit pc lights

HELP!!!!

Old 02-27-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feel your pain. UV sterilizers though will only harm the system. They are indiscriminate in the microbes they kill that reef systems rely on. How many watts of lighting do you have?

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

260 watts
Old 02-27-2005, 03:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, you're not overdoing it with the lights, so that eliminates that. You do have a large tank and may need several more animals to help you. They can only eat so much and very possible that the present population of algae eaters aren't enough to keep up with the growth. You could also try putting in some decorative algae like the nice red stuff or caulerpa in the tank. They provide competition for food the hair algae feeds on. If you don't care much about any coraline algae you could use a sea urchin. They are great algae eaters, but they eat all sorts of algae including coraline. Cowry snails are good too but are harder to keep alive. Little cerith snails are great for eating the algae tucked in the crevices of rocks. Reef safe starfish are helpful too. Don't be afraid to put in 50 reef hermits at a time...lol...or even say 25 cerith snails too. Sounds like a lot but you have a big tank.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
Old 02-27-2005, 08:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTFish
I feel your pain. UV sterilizers though will only harm the system. They are indiscriminate in the microbes they kill that reef systems rely on. How many watts of lighting do you have?
Have you ever ran a uv sterilizer? Could you please post a link to the source your getting this info from!
flatzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Re: u.v. reef safe?

Get one of those lawn mower fish. We have a lot of hair algae and he thinks its a tasty treat.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Have you ever ran a uv sterilizer? Could you please post a link to the source your getting this info from!
My sources are customer testimonies over a 20 year period. Whenever they ran a UV sterilizer, the bio ended up being disrupted...and wouldn't establish at all if put on during the establishment of nitrifying bacteria. We use a sterilizer at the store on the salt fish only system because of how large the system is and the constant turn over in fish. The invert system however doesn't have a sterilizer.

UV Sterilizers are made to kill cells. This is why they are effective in preventing disease, parasites, and algae blooms. It cannot however differenciate between what is a good cell and what is a bad cell. If someone could make a "smart" UV Sterilizer that'd be great.

Nov/2004
Old 02-28-2005, 08:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

any chance you could add a tang. they ususally do a great job at dining on it!

Jim
Old 02-28-2005, 09:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO a UV is not a bad thing on a reef tank, I know people who have great success with UV's on a reef tank I am one of them. It is true what you say about a UV but there are people who run them with not ill effects to the reef tank.
Will a UV help with hair algae, No it kills free floating algaes.
There are several people in my reef club that have battled HA, so your not alone. After trying all the same stuff you have they tried using AZNO3 and all have had great luck with this product. I know adding chemicals to a tank is the last resort. Even though your test kits don't pick up NO3 or PO4 it does not mean it is there .
If the HA is not that bad try a sea hare they are great HA eaters. There is one in our club that is making the rounds through the tanks with HA problems.
Good luck...

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm also one with a UV in a reef tank. All my fish, inverts and corals are doing fine. I guess the UV watt, gph rate are just right for my system.

Tags
reef, safe

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com