u.v. reef safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gallagherjim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
have been battling hair algae for some time now..Tried everything!
reduced feeding, Increased skimming, using ro/di water, frequent water changes, reduced photo period, addition of larger clean up crew(including lawnmower blenny that doesn't mow :? ) physically removed almost all of the algae, but it just comes back. water parameters are fine, 0 phosphates, 0 nitrates. everything seems right, all inhabitants healthy and happy. have recently thought about adding a u.v. sterilizer. two questions..

will this help my situation

will this harm my corals (currently only star polyps, shrooms, and button polyps, more to come once this problem is solved)

Also, if anyone has any input as to why i'm having this problem, i would greatly appreciate it

72gal
running for just over a year
current orbit pc lights

HELP!!!!

I feel your pain. UV sterilizers though will only harm the system. They are indiscriminate in the microbes they kill that reef systems rely on. How many watts of lighting do you have?

Well, you're not overdoing it with the lights, so that eliminates that. You do have a large tank and may need several more animals to help you. They can only eat so much and very possible that the present population of algae eaters aren't enough to keep up with the growth. You could also try putting in some decorative algae like the nice red stuff or caulerpa in the tank. They provide competition for food the hair algae feeds on. If you don't care much about any coraline algae you could use a sea urchin. They are great algae eaters, but they eat all sorts of algae including coraline. Cowry snails are good too but are harder to keep alive. Little cerith snails are great for eating the algae tucked in the crevices of rocks. Reef safe starfish are helpful too. Don't be afraid to put in 50 reef hermits at a time...lol...or even say 25 cerith snails too. Sounds like a lot but you have a big tank.

TCTFish said:
I feel your pain. UV sterilizers though will only harm the system. They are indiscriminate in the microbes they kill that reef systems rely on. How many watts of lighting do you have?

Have you ever ran a uv sterilizer? Could you please post a link to the source your getting this info from!

Have you ever ran a uv sterilizer? Could you please post a link to the source your getting this info from!

My sources are customer testimonies over a 20 year period. Whenever they ran a UV sterilizer, the bio ended up being disrupted...and wouldn't establish at all if put on during the establishment of nitrifying bacteria. We use a sterilizer at the store on the salt fish only system because of how large the system is and the constant turn over in fish. The invert system however doesn't have a sterilizer.

UV Sterilizers are made to kill cells. This is why they are effective in preventing disease, parasites, and algae blooms. It cannot however differenciate between what is a good cell and what is a bad cell. If someone could make a "smart" UV Sterilizer that'd be great.

IMO a UV is not a bad thing on a reef tank, I know people who have great success with UV's on a reef tank I am one of them. It is true what you say about a UV but there are people who run them with not ill effects to the reef tank.
Will a UV help with hair algae, No it kills free floating algaes.
There are several people in my reef club that have battled HA, so your not alone. After trying all the same stuff you have they tried using AZNO3 and all have had great luck with this product. I know adding chemicals to a tank is the last resort. Even though your test kits don't pick up NO3 or PO4 it does not mean it is there :(.
If the HA is not that bad try a sea hare they are great HA eaters. There is one in our club that is making the rounds through the tanks with HA problems.
Good luck...

I'm also one with a UV in a reef tank. All my fish, inverts and corals are doing fine. I guess the UV watt, gph rate are just right for my system.

A UV will sterilize any water passing through it, IF the flow rate is matched to the bulb size. Contact time is the key factor. As most beneficial bacteria are not free in the water column there is no effect on them The bacteria you want in the aquarium in in and on the rock and substrate and filtration system. It is not free floating in the water, or very little is. Bacteria coating sand is what keeps it from blowing around the tank in a continuos sandstorm.

Have you checked your PO4 levels? PO4 can get into the system in other ways then the water. What are you feeding? How are you preparing the food for your tank?

I just started using my UV sterilizer. It was suggested to me to try one being I have the same problem with HA. It's been a week now and I noticed the growth of the stuff has slowed down. Whether it's the UV sterlizer that's helping or not, that I don't know. But I am curious on one thing though... How long are you supposed to run the UV sterilizer a day? I have mine on a timer. It runs for about 8 hours a day. Is that too long? Too short?

Just my 2 cents since I pulled my UV out..If your seeing a reduction at 8hrs on a timer, then I wouldn't dork with it. ; )

GL!

Back
Top Bottom