U.V. Sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
How well would a 36 watt UV Double Helix sterilizer work to help control red slime algae? It is rated for a 500 gallon tank.

If a UV unit is hooked up correctly and the flow rate thru the system is correct (slow enough) to provide a proper exposure the UV filter can effectively sterilize any water flowing thru it.

How will this effect exiting algae that may exist on the substrate or the rocks? Well I have to think it would have little effect as the UV is not removing the fuel that is driving this algae growth.

Uv units are only effective against parasites or bacteria or algae spores that are free floating in the water and also that get exposed to the UV lite at the correct exposure rate.

Often to many people put UV units inline with their filter systems at a flow rate several times higher than is effective.

The water is moving pretty darn slow through the uv sterilizer, we are running it off of a aquaclear pro 3 powerhead. The water return doesnt even make a splash coming back into the tank.

Is this o hang on unit. I found that mine worked better at keepng the water clear when I started pumping water out of the tank as opposed to the sump. Tim.

good. As far as the red alge You can increase the water flow to the affected area or, I'm told that adding more acitic light works. Tim.

Hara said:
The water is moving pretty darn slow through the uv sterilizer, we are running it off of a aquaclear pro 3 powerhead. The water return doesnt even make a splash coming back into the tank.

I looked on www.petwarehouse.com for the aquaclear pro 3 but could not find one. do you mean AquaClear Powerhead Model 301?

I also looked up the UV unit you have and If you click on the More Info link you get some info on the GPH flow rates that would be acceptable.

More Info

IT looks like they recommend 500GPH or less flow rate so if your using the Aquaclear 301 your WELL under the max flow rate.

I still have the box on the powerhead, it said it is rated from 150 to 260.
And it is made by Hagen....see what happens when you try to do stuff before your recommended daily caffeine consumption?

Well, I am pretty sure we are seeing a noticeable difference already.
The corals seemed to be extending alot further today. Less green algae on the glass. No help with the cyano...but we did not expect that really.

I think they would help with ick. Every since my powder blue died from it I been paranoid. However thats the only bout with ick i ever had and that was almost a year ago.

Back
Top Bottom