UGF OR NOT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i used removing my ugf as an excuse to upgrade to a bigger tank made it much less painful :wink:

If your not growing plants, or have another reason to have a lot of gravel, I'd say dump the UGF as well. They are a good tool in certain situations, but in most just result in a ton more work than other means of Bio Filtering. I'd say get a good bio-wheel, and call it good!!!

HTH, Joshua...

I've been told an UGF is a nightmare with SW tanks. Since the substrate is finer than gravel, it can just get sucked up into your filter.

No need for a biowheel. Just push lots of water around the tank and the rocks in the tank will provide for bio-filtration.

AirRazr said:
I've been told an UGF is a nightmare with SW tanks. Since the substrate is finer than gravel, it can just get sucked up into your filter.

Well it getting sucked up is not such a problem because you could just reverse the flow, But it still isn't worth it to get a uf.

Thanks again for the advice, I will be pulling out my ugf and adding about 10 more pounds of LR. Should I leave the power head in?

Hey, sorry for the confusion, I was thinking this was a FW tank for some reason, so yeah, bio-wheel bad idea, my bad!!!!

Sorry, Joshua

Leave the ph. Remove the riser tube and replace with a screen or cage so the fish don't get pulled in. Go with a sponge if you want. People with anenomnes use the sponges to protect more delicaTE creatures

Back
Top Bottom