ugf or not to ugf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electrikat

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have an ugf in my 90 FO. The substrate is cc and sand. Here's the question. I have a tetratec 500 hob filter which has a wet/dry action on it. I have no LR and don't plan on getting any because this will be an aggressive only tank. My nitrates stay around 15 to 20 even though I change the water every week. Should I keep the ugf or not, and if not would it be alright to leave the trays in and just remove the uptakes and air pumps. I do not have any powerheads or a skimmer in this tank. However, for those who don't know the tetratec, it has a portion that has foam and is constantly cycled out with air then water to get maximum oxygen to the bacteria.

How long has your 90 been running and with what livestock? With an UGF, CC, and a wetdry in an established stocked tank, 15-20 nitrate is pretty good. If the setup is new you can expect those numbers to start climbing as stuff starts to really start rotting. The problem with the ug trays is they allow stuff to settle beneath them where nothing can get to them. They'll just rot down there and contaminate the tank. BTW, you can still have rock in an aggressive tank. Having some hiding spots will keep the overall stress a lot lower than an open tank, and that's always good.

It's been up about a year. I lost all my fish to ich back in February and just started to restock about 2 months ago. One trigger about 2 months and 1 porcupine puffer for about 2 weeks now. I change the water(10 - 15 % ) every week. With only two fish I would think 20 is kinda high. But anyways do you think the ugf is more trouble than it's worth or not and if so should I remove the whole thing or just leave the trays?

Considering you have a puffer and a trigger I wouldnt stay wit the UGF. When they mature you are going to have water quality issues IMO.

I had both in a 55 and later in a 150 and a HUGE wet/dry couldnt process waste faste enough to keep up with the trigger and puffer.

Meant to ask, were did you get the trigger and how big is he? I took mine back to Bridgemans about two months ago and was wondering if you ended up with him.

IMHO, since the stock still low, remove it or you will regret once the stock increase.

He came from Bridgeman's about 2 months ago or so and he's about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long and and prob 1 1/2 inches top to bottom. Blue stripes above eyes and yellow stripe at points of his mouth. Beautiful and eats like a pig.

I'll bet hes the one. I had him for a couple of years and he didnt grow much. Great fish with a great personality, but he can be a butthead from time to time (he will bite the hand that feeds him)

I hated giving him up, but I'm really glad to know he got a good home.

He has nipped me a couple of times when I had to reach in to fix the bottom where he digs his sleeping hole. I think he thought I was going to feed him. He eats right out of my hand. I didn't hurt or anything. I've had oscars that would grab your finger and not let go so no biggy. Yes he has almost the complete run of the tank and takes advantage of it.

Back
Top Bottom