Ugrading tank from 28g to probably over 100 g :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ni111

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i allready have a well established tank had it for around nearly 4 months, i do a weekly water change with RO/DI salted and heated water from my lfs. Have around about 24 pounds of live rock and about a 3 inch bed of live sand (going to be a cost issue i know !:( ) 2 occerils clowns, 1 pink spotted goby, 1 bi colour blenny, 1 fire shrimp and 4 hermits and a green button polyp. 2 internal bio filters with 2 powerheads built on top of them, and an external filter. So i would like as many inputs as possible from everyone :D Pleaassseeeee! tell me this isnt going to be cost effective as i have spent nearly £700 on this 28 gallon. I might build the cabinet and just buy a glass tank. What else am i going to have to buy? how much will it cost ? Will i have to cycle my tank againnnn?! thats a question i want answering. and lastly how will i go about transfering things ? :thanks::dance:

hi. :)

Alot depends on several factors. as far as another cycle, if you are going to upgrade to such a larger tank I would cycle it by itself with any rock you are going to buy for it. I also would put all new sand in, and NOT use your old stuff unless you rinse the heck out of it. Lots of nasties like nitrates hide in the sand and can be a bother. You can use regular fish store sand or if you want you can try pool filter sand. A 50lb bag costs about $5 at my home depot. BUT you have to really really rinse it before you use it.

As far as things you'll need, a filtration system for sure, most likely a sump or sump/refugium combo for a tank that size. If you are wanting to go with corals then maybe a protein skimmer as well. Then you need all the pumps and tubing in addition. It won't be cheap, no doubt about it.

You'll need maybe 200lbs of rock for a 100g+ tank, for this I suggest getting base rock as it's maybe $2.50 a lb vs. the 7.99 and up for live rock. You pretty much need between 1.5 and 2.0 lbs of rock for every gallon.

Hmm thinking about it i might go for a 55 g or a 75, 100 is a bit much haha. What do you think about that ?

If it's between a 55 and a 75 for sure go with the 75. It has a bigger tank footprint and is the same length as the 55. It's just 18 inches from front to back instead of 12. :) Lots more possibilities with a 75 in my opinion.

Yeah your right haha :) i have the 28 but it really is too small in my opinion. The only bad thing is the ecomony over here in the uk. There is a tank with a stand and a large sump tank i like, they claim its on sale yet its £700 for glass and wood. I was trying to add up the costs and i just think it might not happen with the cost of tanks and live rock

It is awful expensive, even here in the states. Buying used is a great option if you can locate a good setup. I would be on the lookout. lol Do you have any saltwater clubs or groups near you that you can join? Lots of people get out of the hobby and you can often find a good deal from a fellow member in a reef club.

Nope never even heard of one haha. How would you know if it was realible though, could buy the tank and it could fall to peices haha

You go over the tank and check for ANYTHING that could possibly be an issue. the you water test it for a week or two. I've gotten several of my tanks used and have had only one issue. I got a biocube that held water but when you added sand and rock it leaked so bad! I ended up parting it out on ebay and recouped my $125 at least.

Seeing a tank up and running that is being sold is also a good way to be sure it's water ready and everything works. :)

Back
Top Bottom