Uh Oh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterTeen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, my xenia colony thats looking better, which is mounted to a shell, the shell looked like it was going to fall off the shelf so I moved it back up, and the xenia fell off, so I got a bowl of water, put the shell and xenia in it to super glue the xenia, and I accidently got some super glue on its polyps! :( What should I do?? Will It Be Ok?!?!?!? Im really worried!

Just snip off the polyps that are affected. It will not hurt the Xenia and will grow back as long as your water specs are optimum.

Cheers
Steve

What will happen if I leave the polyps there? Will it affect the xenia, the xenia is fairly small, about 1/2in big.

The only forseable danger would be if the coral necrosed which is possible but may simpley just drop the pieces affected by the glue. Most likely nothing will happen to damage the overall health of the coral but it's always better to be safe.

Cheers
Steve

Aww ok :) Mojo reef told me to use bridal vail to attach the xenia. It is slowly impoving its health, and pumping alittle at a time.

I would agree with Mojo. Personally I have never found adhesives to work well with soft corals anyway and prefer to allow their natural abilities to attach themselves. In future you could also try getting a HOB breader box and drill a bunch of extra holes for water flow. Fill the bottom with small rubble rock pieces and let nature take it's course. You then have a small rock with the soft coral that can be glued anywhere quite easily.

Cheers
Steve

I rubber band xenia to new rocks. Not too tightly though, since the rubber band can virtually cut the xenia. After about 10 days, the xenia is firmly attached to the new rock and I remove the rubber band.

Then I run happily to the LFS to get a whopping $8 for each frag! :roll:

I rubber band xenia to new rocks. Not too tightly though, since the rubber band can virtually cut the xenia. After about 10 days, the xenia is firmly attached to the new rock and I remove the rubber band.
Id rather get a HOB breeder box and have them attach naturally, because I wouldnt want to hurt them by splitting them in half with a rubber band.

That natural approach sounds good too. It's just that I want them to attach to specific rocks, in specific directions. Helps with the aquascaping. Also, maybe I'm using the wrong breeder box (without side flow cut-outs), 'cause they seem to get no water flow.

Lastly the "not too tightly" part makes everything work great.

Back
Top Bottom