Uh oh, didn't see this coming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if its slimy its cyno so no pic needed. Turning IMO is not a sign of it dieing off. When it dies off it just goes away a little at a time. It can be many colors, I have had it green, red, maroon and a red/brown.
IMO its not so much long light cycles as having old bulbs and PO4 and low flow. In my experiance I get it when my bulbs get old and I have little to no PO4 reading. Usually when I change out my old bubls it goes away after a week.

I get a lot of use out of a turkey baster (plastic. be sure it seals well before you buy it) and a long handled scraper. you can suck it up and then dump it out in a bucket. I have a hang on tank specimen container which works great for this, and doesn't waste a lot of water. I find the slower I go the better.

cyano feeds on DOCs, do you skim enough?
phosban, cutting my light cycle, turkey basting, scraping, and keeping my skimmer clean have done wonders for my cyano problem.

:O I'll try a turkey baster. That sounds like it would work! Thanks for the suggestion

I have a CSS rated for 125G on a 29G XD It's more than enuf lol

If nothing works, i'll try changing the bulbs too

O yea seaham, i read on a site that cyano does come in dif. colors but only the red form has some substance in it that prevent herbivores from consuming it correct? Right now the cyano is reddish brown. I have another patch on my skimmer's pump and it's deep red, very dif. from the one on the sandbed.

Thanks so much for the help guys

I get a lot of use out of a turkey baster (plastic. be sure it seals well before you buy it) and a long handled scraper. you can suck it up and then dump it out in a bucket.

That's what I love about this site, I get the commen sense answers that I wouldn't even think of! Thanks!!!!!

FF no inverts or fish that I know of will eat it to the point that its gone. Some say some snails and crabs will eat it. I tried them and they never touched it. The only thing that helped me was a phosban reactor, changing out old bulbs and going back to ro/di water from kold steril water. I still get some when my bulb spectrium changes when old. Oh and siphoning it out during a water change hepls big time.

I might be the exception to the rule. My urchin is either eating it or just moving it. I haven't been able to tell. My bumble bee snails seem to eat some of it, but prefer to graze on the other algea. Of course I could be wrong, but it looks like my pencil urchin, literally "mowed" a path through it.

Back
Top Bottom