Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2004, 04:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ultra Actinic VS Actinic 420 Questions

I recently purchased the Custom Sea Life PC, moonlight system. It's real nice, but it came with an "Ultra Actinic" and a 10k daylight. To be honest Im not real fond of the way the tank looks aesthetically. All the corals are doing great, but the light just doesn't make anything glow.?

Is there a difference between Ultra Actinic and Actinic 420? I used to have some cheap strip lights, with Zoo Med, Coral Sun Actinic 420 bulbs, and they seemed to make the corals absolutely glow, especially the greens! These new lights, the Ultra Actinics, seem to be real boring and make everything look brown Even my metallic green mushrooms look ugly brown, even when just the Ultra actinic is on.

It seems like the 420's are more purple in color when they're on too. Is that accurate?

SO if the 420's are different, would it be ok for the tank inhabitants if I replaced the ultra actinic for a 420? Also can you upgrade PC lights from 10k to 20k without any acclimation?

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Old 01-27-2004, 11:19 AM   #2
steve-s

Does the actinic bulb they came with have a kelvin rating? If so, they are not true actinic and will not have the same effect. The true 420-450nm 03's do work well depending on manufacturer. The CSL true actinics also have a bit of a break in period. For the first few weeks the light will look more violet than blue but if will fade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefaddict
Also can you upgrade PC lights from 10k to 20k without any acclimation?
Kelvin changes will not adversely affect them for the most part except for growth speed and color. The only time acclimation is a concern is when you increase the overall wattage.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-27-2004, 02:50 PM   #3
cj10488

Quote:
Kelvin changes will not adversely affect them for the most part except for growth speed and color
I have heard some bleaching from changing from 10k MH lights to 20k Mh lights.. And Changing from 5500k to 10k MH lights.. Probably due to the major intensity difference..

James
Old 01-27-2004, 04:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for all the replies!!

Tags
actinic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com