Ultra Violet Sterilizer????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattt6511

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello what exactly is a Ultra Violet Sterilizer? Will it help my new reef tank, i was hoping it would get rid of some of the algea, do they help at all or are they bad?

Uv Sterilizers generally kill off parasites and other harmful or unwanted bacteria in your water. They are very good for a reef tank, we have 3 on our system at work, and my friend and I both have one on our tanks at home.

How they work is water is pumed through a chamber containing a UV bulb that emits UV radiation. As the water travels through the bacteria and parasites, etc are killed off by the radiation. I've had pretty good results from the turbo twist series, and recently the Jebo.

My friend had problems with a cloudy tank, we tried diatom filters which worked a bit but it still stayed cloudy. After installing a 36w Jebo UV sterilizer his water was crystal clear after only about 12 hours.

All in all, good investment.

Hth,

Matt

UV's are good for some algaes however they have to be in the water column and flow by the light for the cells to be killed. It will be most benificial in performing the preventive killing of bacteria such as ICH and other unwanted pests such as IworkatPSP advised... If you get one, go the size above the recommended, and use a pump that is below the recommended flow rate, for maximum efficiency...

Happy reefing!

IM IworkatPSP's Buddy he was talking about Here are some before and after pictures Also you will see there is more LR the LR was in there and it was still cloudy untill I hooked the UV up this is a picture 12 hours later Thank You JEBO

They are a good addition for your tank. As previous stated they will help to get rid of harmful bacteria and parasites and esp algea spores that are drawn up in the water column. I also have the turbo twist which allows for more time under the light. I have used one and always will because of good results.

mattt, what type of algae are you talking about? free floating or is it attached to the LR or SB? A pic would help out...
There are pros and cons and depending on who you talk too you will hear both sides.
Are they needed, No.. Will they help, Maybe. If you have no paracites or free floating algae then you won't see any difference. If you want piece of mind then they will help out in that way. JMO.

The only reason I say so is because since I `ve had a UV about 8 years ago I`ve never had ick or algea in my tank. Is it because of the UV? I think in part it is but there are other factors like feeding every other day and some of the other things I do. But I have no doubt that part of the reason is the UV. I agree with you Seaham about what you say. I`ve got too much invested in my tank and I just want that piece of mind :wink: If it aint broke dont fix it.

Back
Top Bottom