Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

un-seen predator?

ok although my tank is a nano i do not fell this is a "nano question" if you feel it is feel free to move this (just drop me a line to where you put it)

i have a 10 gallon

in it i have...
7 Hermite crabs (3 red legged and 4 blue legged) and 5 Nassarius Snails

i had 2 peppermint shrimp (missing a couple of weeks now)
and today i can not find my happy little Ocellaris Clownfish , he was fine yesterday, waggity tail and all

strangely i have not seen any sign of the 3-4 bristle worms that came on my lr in over a week either (they used to come out at feeding time) this may not be a bad thing.

my params are fine (ammonia, 'trite and 'trate are all 0)

admittedly the clown could have jumped out as i have an open top and a inch or so of space between the top of the water and the light, but i can find not mummified body on the floor or behind the stand. if he died i am sure that the crabs and snails would have made short work of the body.

but the fact that the shrimp and the worms are also missing has we worried.

could i have an unseen hitchhiking predator on the loose? none of my lr pieces are very big, and none have any large holes so i do not know where something would hid. how can i know for sure?

what do you think?

this tank shot is a couple of weeks old...

TIA

Old 02-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The missing clown has me worried but not the shrimp as they hide alot. I have three peppermint shrimp and never see them except their molts so I know they are there. I would maybe do a few nite time inspections with a red cover over the flashlight to see what is in the tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
The missing clown has me worried but not the shrimp as they hide alot. I have three peppermint shrimp and never see them except their molts so I know they are there. I would maybe do a few nite time inspections with a red cover over the flashlight to see what is in the tank.
i have checked @ night a couple of time to try to see the shrimp, nothing unusual yet
Old 02-20-2008, 11:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any strange clicks coming from your tank? Is your live rock from the Atlantic or Pacific? Seems like mantis shrimp are way more likely to come in on Atlantic/Caribbean rock.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could be a small crab try a glass tilted with food in the bottom and lay in wait it may take a couple times to do it, it could also be hidden well with in the LR I had 2-3 of them and it was like an infestation there fore I changed my LR out so that I got rid of them , it is possible that the clown just died and the clean up crew did what they do drug it to a cove and had a feast ...
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Any strange clicks coming from your tank? Is your live rock from the Atlantic or Pacific? Seems like mantis shrimp are way more likely to come in on Atlantic/Caribbean rock.
maybe it is a question is should have asked, but i have not idea where it is from, other then the LFS i am not even sure the LFS lady knows where it came from originaly...
Old 02-21-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The thing is if they place all the rock into a common bin it is possible to come from just about any where , even from hitchhiking in or corals in your tank ...it would amaze you how they tend to "burry" themselfs
Old 02-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hmmm...How old is this tank?

From the pic you posted it looks like you have a lot of diatoms in your tank which tells me that it is still a new tank??? Are you sure that your water params are all in check? I would test them again just to make sure.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
You could try soaking your rock in a hyposalinity (very salty) tank to see what crawls out.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezy33 View Post
You could try soaking your rock in a hyposalinity (very salty) tank to see what crawls out.
HypOsalinity is low salt water
HypERsalinity is high salt water . I agree it looks like it is a fairly new system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com