Unanswered questions about going fallow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishStarter89

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently had an ich outbreak due to not quarantining a new Tomini Tang (I know, I'll do better from now on). I'm about to pull all the fish to quarantine for 8-10 weeks and treat with copper. Question that I can not find a straight answer on: should I pull my inverts and corals as well (hermits, snails, and a few Green Fluorescent Mushroom corals)? I keep finding conflicting information on that, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

Also, I've been wanting to add more corals and my tank parameters are good so would the fallow period be an okay time to start introducing a few corals to the tank since they are not hosts to ich?

Finally, how do I keep the cycle from breaking in the tank with no fish around to feed the BB in the LR?

Ich does not effect inverts, that is to include corals. Copper will kill them, so do NOT treat them or anything with rock/sand in it.
You will be able to keep enough beneficial bacteria alive with some of the inverts in your tank, as you will have to feed them to keep them alive. Tie that in with slowly adding the fish back to your tank will lead you to victory over ich.

you will need to keep the fish out of the DT for up to 8 weeks to ensure any ick in the tank have died due to a lack of a host (corals and inverts cannot host ick). Once your medication period is over you will need to keep them in the hospital tank until the total of 8 weeks.

you should be fine with adding new corals while you are fishless. I just recently did this and as long as you are feeding them, shouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom