Uncured live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
is it okay to use uncured live rock to cycle a tank without curing it first, only its cheaper and you're supposed to get better life on it, the dead stuff in it can only help kickstart the cycle can't it?

That would be OK but I would clean it off first and then cure it with your tank. It will still have enough die off to cycle your tank.

Its your choice too clean or not.. I never cleaned mine and all was fine.. I know others who did not clean either and they ended up with some cool bonus items. IMO cleaning/scrubbing the lr lessen your chance of a free coral. JMO..
Again its a choice..

I think I will throw it in as it is when I get it and hope for the extras, I can't see it doing any harm considering my tank will need cycling anyway. Thanks all :)

When I say clean I`m talking about giving it a good SW rinse and get mud and dirt off it.

I cycled my tank woth 100lbs of LR. I did rinse it with some SW before adding it. You may notice a smell form the rock as it cures. HTH.

should I give it a hyper salinity dip before putting it in the tank, im worried about mantis shrimps, can they break 10mm glass ??

Back
Top Bottom