Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Under gravel filter

I want to start a SW tank with LR but money/space is tight. My LFS(they are very trustworthy) has a 29 gal tank with "all that is needed for a SW tank"
its still 350 dollars(no substrate or critters). I would like do something smaller and cheaper. 10 gal, homemade UGF, power filter, play sand live rock then one little damsel swimming around. Am I asking for more trouble than i can handle. :?

Old 09-22-2004, 06:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Also what are your thoughts on UGFs in general, I have read so much but nothing to make up my mind on there use.

Old 09-22-2004, 06:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

tiny salt tanks are harder to maintain...less water means water parameters shift more easily.

the general trend is no UGF's...they are outdated, and can become problematic after a year or two when too much detris collects under the plates.

I think a 10gallon is a bit small for active swimmers like most damsels.

bottom line tho, is that saltwater isn't cheap, and it only gets more expensive when you want live rock (which is preferred) and god help you if you go full reef...skimmers and reef lighting are as spendy as quality, cured live rock.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

As Malkore says the bigger the better in SW. Sand will not work with a UGF because it will fall through the grate and plug it. And they are the Old School way to do things and the guys I know that have them battle Nitrates all the time. SW is not like FW and it costs $$$ if you want to have a nice tank.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 06:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to RondaGP Send a message via AIM to RondaGP Send a message via MSN to RondaGP Send a message via Yahoo to RondaGP
Try to find a used system.
I think it is a great way to start the hobby.

I bought a 55 gallon tank in an oak cabinet with everything I needed (and then some) for 200 dollars.
That included mature water, 4 fish, decorative rock and live rock too.

It's not state of the art (UGF, dated skimmer) but I love it and when I feel I am ready, I will add to it and then eventually buy a much larger tank and do the whole reef thing.

Until then I am loving my new tank, my new fish, and my new hobby.

Tags
filter, gravel, under gravel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com