Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2004, 10:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
Under"sand" Filter

Which under"sand" (undergravel) filter would be best for a Caribbean Arigonite sand substrate? I'm guessing that I couldn't just use any but I don't know. I'd like to use a Lee's. Any takers? Much obliged!

Old 10-18-2004, 11:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
Does a reef tank need an undersubstrate filter like freshwater?

Old 10-19-2004, 12:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

No. Undergravel filters are on their way out (actually have been considered "old school" for a while) for saltwater tanks. They trap all kinds of "junk" under the plates and will eventually need to be broken down and cleaned thoroughly.

Most people have gone to the Berlin method of filtration. You can read about it here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=10

In a nutshell, as long as you have enough LR, good water circulation, and enough light, this is all the filtration you need.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Puzzled me while reading, so I've asked. So, Reef Tank aquascapers use powerheads for circulation only it would seem. I wonder what the best way to 'blend' them into your environment is (make them less visible)?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2004, 06:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

corraline will cover them, blending them in with the tank
Old 10-19-2004, 10:04 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Some folks go the "extra" step and instead of using powerheads they will get a larger pump and plumb into the tank a closed loop. Basically all a closed loop does is pull water out of the tank into the pump, then it's pumped back into the tank through multiple nozles. This Accomplishes the same thing as powerheads, but instead of having 3 or 4 big hulking pumps visible in the tank you have one "pipe" that draws water out of the tank, then just a couple of nozzels that barely break the surface of the water that return the water to the tank. And the pipe and nozles, like darb2 mentioned, will become covered by coraline and other algaes and will quickly become less obvious.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

And for the record, a FW tank doesn't need a UGF either. In general this sort of filtration is outdated. It works, but you have to pull the UGF every 6-12 months to clean the plate. There are a few situations when a UGF is good, especially if you run it in reverse, using a powerhead. But for SW setups, UGF is old school.

Tags
filter, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com