Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2005, 09:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Undergravel filter for marine tank ? yes ? no ? confused !

i'm confused whether i should use UGF for my 10gal nano tank...

the LFS recommended yes, and i read some info about UGF , which stats it's good for BB built up...

but at the same time i also read one article which says UGF is a nono to marine tank ...

Quote:
However, certain filters like the UGF are generally not acceptable in marine tanks because of detritus build-up in the gravel/crushed coral bed and clogging of the filter plates. You'll just have to keep telling yourself time and time again : "Think Biological, BUT think carefully".
Quoted from http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=77883

so, guys i need your personal advices + experiences to tell me whether i should or not ?

2nd Q) My tank has been cycling for almost one month and i have one ocellaris in now ... and it looks fine ! .. but i found some brown algae attached on the glass !! how shall i clear them off ? they are growing fast !!

3rd Q) my tank size is 60cm(W) x 30cm x 30cm , is it 10gal ? just wan to confirm my calculation .... so how many watt of light do i need ? and what kind of light do i need, if i wan to put some hardy mushrooms / corals in my nano tank ?

4th Q) How many LR do i need ? currently i have about 6kg of LR + 2-3 inch think mixture of crushed corals + fine sand ... will this have enough space for the BB to grow and maintain a stable water condition ? is it considered as a berlin method which using just only LR to denitrifying ?

Old 05-09-2005, 09:59 AM   #2
zacdl

Dont use one.

If you have sand in there it will just get clogged up all the time.

#2- Get a MagFloat.

#3- I think the wattage for all kinds of corals is 4x gallonage, so about 40 watts. Since yours are lowlight I bet you could get away with less though (Although you didnt mention what you wanted to have)

#4- I have no clue how a KG works into a pounds so I cant help you there...
Old 05-09-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

2.2 pounds to a kilogram
Old 05-09-2005, 10:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

zacdl , i should remove the UGF ? aww.. that'd be diffcult job then ... i hv to transfer the fishes, the LR and water into another pail, remove the DSB .. and remove the "sand plate" ... is that correct ? will it cause the water to be "uncycled" again with my disturbance ?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

so how many pounds / kg do i need for a 10gal tank ? thanks

Tags
filter, marine, tan, undergravel, undergravel filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com