Undersized skimmer just means you empty it more often?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read on here people saying skimmers are "undersized" for a tank with X gallons. Wouldn't that just mean you have to empty the cup more often? Or I guess it wouldn't get gunk out of the water as fast...but whatever gunk it does get out would still be better than nothing.

I've just been wondering about this for a while now since I'm hoping to get a skimmer before too long.

To me, undersized means that it can't process a great enough volume of water in a given amount of time to remove the desired wastes.

If the pump & skimmer process a certain volume of water in a certain amount of time, you can imagine a scenario in which not enough water is being cleaned per day.

You're right though -- undersized is better than nothing.

Basically it won't be able to skim the tank volume fast enough to keep the disolved organic's at a low level, defeating the purpose of having a skimmer. It's efficiency will drop dramatically if placed in a larger tank then it was designed for-it won't produce MORE skimmate to make up for the larger water volume. I hope that made sense LOL. My 2 cents-Don't skimp on a skimmer. I spent about $100 on "cheap" skimmers before finally getting an aqua-c. I could have saved money and "headaches" by just getting the aqua-c to begin with, there is no comparison among other HOBs.

You guys are correct: an undersized skimmer won't be able to remove all the DOC's from the water. Yes it'll help, but you'll still slowly build them up, requiring more water changes, and even then the more delicate corals/inverts might succumb to diseases or show stunted growth.

Back
Top Bottom