Unidentified plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all,

Ok I just got home from vacation and my father did an awesome job taking care of the tank while we were gone!

Thing is I had to of course perform a pwc the day I got home, which drives my wife crazy, but I'm sure you all understand! While performing the water change I really noticed a bunch of overgrown greenage on a couple rocks. It's a plant thats been on the rock since I bought it, but it's really kicked it in high gear as far as growth is concerned lately and has spread to the nearby rocks. It grows out and attaches itself to other branching rock. I got in there with shears and cut most of it away, but I'm still curious as to what it is if anyone knows.

Any ideas??

Attachments

• image-1275149974.jpg
    image-1275149974.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image-3494425907.jpg
    image-3494425907.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 93
its a macro algae if its growing its eating up nitrates and phosphates in the tank it can over run your tank. Pull as much out as you can. Lower nutrients in tank

That stuff took off because you were gone and nitrates were up due to not having a pwc sooner. Heck, id just move that stuff into your sump if you have one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both for your replies.

I actually thought about putting it in sump but it's already gone. I tossed it last night after my pwc.

Looks like I have some investigating to do in regards to nutrients in my water column bc I'm fighting some Cyno but my trates are at 0?? I'm going to check my phosphates now but I always look at my Tds meter when filling my water for my pwc's and it's alwYs zero. There was a short time when I was waiting for my new DI resin and the Tds was up around 6 , so maybe that's what's started the problem.

Any suggestions?

75 galling with 30 g sump
100lbs rock
Trates 0
Trites 0
Phates---testing now
Salinity is 1.025-1.026 -checked daily

Attachments

• image-1738604257.jpg
    image-1738604257.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 86
On a funny note.....my Duncan seems to like the now identified plant! He's such a pig. :)

Attachments

• image-88505235.jpg
    image-88505235.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 94
Sniperhank said:
Your duncan is eating it? That doesn't seem quite right. lol

Yup. Funny right!

I was thinking the exact same thing when I seen it, which is why i got my tweezers and gently pulled both of them out of it's mouth after i took the pic.

My duncans are beasts and I usually feed them twice a week, but since I was gone for the week....they were not fed so he was double hungry. ....enough to eat tough macro algae!

On a side note.....I made sure to give the tank a fill cube of mysis the day I got back and also target fed the Duncan polyps. :)

after the large pwc ( alk gets a tad on the low side by the end of the week with RC ) and the target feeding, the polyps swelled to double their size! They're happy and so am I!

Back
Top Bottom