UniQuarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmg213

Aquarium Advice Regular
I feel like this is a dumb question, but Ive read around and didnt see too much unbiased info on the subject, so I was hoping someone here could help...which you guys alway do. :)

I have spent the last few weeks beginning to research starting a SW aquarium. My plans are to purchase one in about 2-3 months once I feel I have done enough research. One thing I am starting to have mixed feelings about is purchasing a "UniQuarium" vs. a regular aquarium and just buying the individual components required. I am sure there are pros and cons to each. 8 months ago I started a FW tank with an Eclipse system and have now thrown out the entire and replaced it with an AquaClear filter, glass top, and new lighting...so I feel like going with the uniquarium may be going down this same expensive path again. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Don't buy a kit. You can get away with it for certain things and freshwater is okay but not SW. For a good saltwater tank you don't even need a filter so that saves some money. Use live rock and power heads. Also the stock lighting is never good enough. A lot fo people say that they only want to keep fish and not worry about coral but eventually most people fall in love with the corals. That means buying new lights. So svae your self some hassle and buysome great powerful lights to start with or at least allow for easy upgrading. What you need for a decent reef tank is

1- 1.5 lbs per gallon of live rock
a protein skimmer
powerheads, enough to move about 10X tank volume per hour
great lights - a minium of 5 watts per gallon or more
Live sand is always nice and very healpful

Thanks! I thought that was the feedback Id get, but I just wanted to be sure. After I bought the eclipse kit it took about 3 weeks before I started getting all fidgity and wanted to replace things...didnt feel like going through that trouble and expense again. :)

No one can provide you with the "kit" you really want there are so many options to consider and you will have more fun picking them out for yourself.

I agree with tkos advice, but you may not really need that much light depending on what corals you plan to keep. Although, the more light the better. I don;t think there is one SW keeper who doesn't wish they had more light,

Back
Top Bottom