unknown substance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jth3f

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 3 month old 55g with some polyps a feather duster a gorgonian and a couple of bar gobies a percula clown two starfish and a turbo snail. I'm getting two or three strands of this clear stuff that is about the size of a strand of spider web that is sticking to the rocks. it flows with the current and is clearish white. I was wondering if it is the corals reproducing or algea or what?

I was going to ask the same question. I see it coming out little tubes so I was wandering if it was used to catch food by some type of worm.

it is from a type of tube worm. Skinny little tube worms with that hair like thing is the filter feeding device.

More than likely vermitid snails, but it is hard to tell without pics (not that you can always see them).

I was also going to suggest some sort of snail, I know I get a slime trails occasionally in my tank as well for no reasons, but they go away.

I love my vermitid tubeworms. They throw out their net and later haul in their catch. They catch very small particules of food and waste then haul them into their mouth at the top of their tube. Very neat stuff. Some reefer don't like the webbie netting that they put out and super glue the top of the tube to kill the worm. They normally come in with LR and are reef safe......
Here is a picture. YOu will see the worm in the center,You can see the tenticles. the hazy thing above is the netting. When the net is full the worm hauls it in.
You have to look real good to see it. This picture was taken ~8 months ago...

img_993763_0_1638844df9d4be9cf791bcbf02d06dd3.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom