Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-04-2007, 05:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
unstoppable Xenia

I bought Pulsing Xenia on a piece of slate about 3 months ago. The slate is about the size of the palm of my hand.. When I got the rock you could see plenty of rock and the Xenia was kind of scattered across it. The Xenia loves my tank and now it has overgrown the original rock and reaches off the edges looking to expand.

I've cut 4 frags off already by letting the animal touch other rocks and after a few days, I just clip the connective tissue with sizzers. The problem is that this doesn't slow the thing down!

I don't want to kill the animal but it is growing and spreading so fast, I don't have space for all of it and I worry that if I keep cutting it (in order to control it and trade the frags) I will injure the original piece or stunt its growth entirely.

Will repeated cutting have this effect or am I worrying too much?

nicksgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
I have not hurt mine yet and I trim it every other week. I give all the frags to my lfs.

packagerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Get some small pieces of LR and let the coral spread to that. Take them to the LFS for some store credit.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Refuge | Redox etc »