Upcoming Power Outage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarinaClown

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Homeowners Association just posted a notice of power outage next week from 8am to 11 pm. I have an HOB skimmer. What can and should I do to continue on the lights and filtration for my main tank and QT? Thanks

They should be okay for that amount of time. It might be prudent however to get a couple battery powered air pumps to use to help keep oxygen in the tanks.

Walmart has the battery powered air pumps. I found ones in the fishing section. Never looked into the heat problem though. I have a backup battery I use for camping that would run a couple heaters for a day. You may look into something like that.

We had a planned power outage a few weeks ago. The main thing is to run any power heads that you might have. Don't plan on that power outage ending at 11pm because most likely it won't be done by then. As long as you're breaking the surface of the water you should be fine. There's battery operated air stones that can work depending on the size tank. If you have access to a UPS I'd use that to power your pumps. Don't necessarily need the lights to be on. They should be fine for a day without light. Crossing my fingers that the power will resume quickly for you. Our power outage started at 9am to 4am the next morning. It was suppose to be done at 6. Hope this is helpful. If you can find a generator run that during the day and the UPS at night.

I forgot as for heat. Blankets should work. Place them around the tank. As you would cover yourself... To keep cold air out. I know it seems goofy but that's what I did to keep the temp stable and don't have a large swing. Heater usually sucks up a lot of juice so if you can plug it in somehow just remember it will suck a lot of power. Sorry... Just from experience.

I forgot as for heat. Blankets should work. Place them around the tank. As you would cover yourself... To keep cold air out. I know it seems goofy but that's what I did to keep the temp stable and don't have a large swing. Heater usually sucks up a lot of juice so if you can plug it in somehow just remember it will suck a lot of power. Sorry... Just from experience.
Awesome! Thanks. It's gonna be 60 gallon. Just got it and about to transfer my 40B reef there.

Back
Top Bottom