Update & PICS on inexpensive Ebay R/O unit!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

srgetz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I thought I'd post this for anyone thinking of ordering one of the many available R/O filter kits. Here you can see the package contents and under sink installation...the install is fairly easy if you are confortable with basic tools and using a drill. You will need a drill, 1/4 & 1/8" bits, a phillips screwdriver and some sealant or teflon tape for the in / out threaded elbows. It took me around an hour (taking my time) to accomplish this. You basically set the brace on the pipe, drill it, then set the hoses and turn the water on. It is outputting somewhere around 1.5 g per hour. For less than $80, I am very happy so far to say the least.

FWIW I bought it from this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46310&item=4301160453&rd=1

It is a 6 stage R/O + DI. Reefrunner has also heard good things about units from this seller. I recommend him as well from what I see so far. There are also other attractive kits out there for a bit more money. Just thought I'd share, take care...

I got the 6 stage one on the way...
We have a well, so I figured I need all the filtration I can get.
Can't wait for it to get here. I am TIRED of schlepping water jugs from the LFS every week!

I have a 5-stage, not installed but hooked through an $8 adapter to a faucet. My only complaint is that sometimes it's difficult to get the water to go through the filter and into the storage tank, since water goes in and out through the same tube.

I got one of these units in my basement, leaked like crazy from the inpur and ouput! It was funny becasue the instructions said specifically said not to use teflon tape becasue it didn't work well but every connection on the unit was pre-assembled with teflon tape. The guy recomended plastic epoxy which still didn't fix so I gave up after trying like 5 different times and bought one from our sponsor.

BTW, the ebay unit selller told me that it was just tough luck that I "happened to get a leaky one" and said it's impossible for them to test every unit and there wasn't really anything he could do about it.

The filter I got last night from filters direct had teflon tape as a requirement

Back
Top Bottom