Update/I just turned in my hawkfish and copperband butterfly for a yellow tailed blue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoM0

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just turned in my hawkfish and copperband butterfly for a yellow tailed blue tang now my tank has 3 tank bred clowns (ones black) 2 green spotted puffers ...do just fine in my reef tank a sea apple boxer shrimp emerald crab sebea anenome and a 6 dollar anenome a long with an assortment of coral ! Pretty gnarly

Try a yellow filter or a piece of yellow lighting gel. What they use on stage lighting to project color lights. Maybe a binder cover made out of it to will work.

You should get rid of one. If I recall they are all male and turn into females. The pair will be good but all the others will get stressed out. You should only ever have 2 clowns for smaller tanks.

I would definitely stick with only 2 clowns. I had 2 pairs in a 6 foot tank and almost lost one pair due to the fighting. :-(

I see you traded on fish for a tang, the tank in your avatar is how big?? It looks like a small tank if so the tang may be a BAD choice. lol

This topic comes up every week at least. You will not have a lot of time with him as he will grow pretty quickly. Even small ones need a lot of zoom room. I'd say in most peoples opinion a 40g is not big enough for a tang. It's not a good idea to get fish and constantly trade them in either, your relationship with the fish is best when you buy a fish to keep forever, thats the mentality that I buy every fish with. Not with oh when he gets too big I will trade him. Also, the yellow bellied ones tend to get even bigger than a regular blue tang.

Its yellow tailed ....why is everybody so negative on here my girlfirend is gunna kill me if I don't stop switching up these fish

Carey is about as opposite to negative this forum has! Now myself on the other hand...

Use Liveaquaria.com to research your fish and corals before adding them. It will save you time, money and grief. Don't listen to most LFS, they are there to sell you fish. Do your own research and listen to those who have been doing this for ages, they tend to know stuff.

Yep, I tend to be pretty liberal when stocking and I don't mean to come off negative. BUT Greg is right when he says you need to research your fish first. I carry around a book in my car that has most fish listed so i can look them up on the spot if I see something I like in the store. I got caught up once and bought a scooter not knowing they needed pods like a mandarin. Luckily I got him to eat regular food and it didnt end in the fishes death. :)

Tangs are the most popular fish out there and everyone wants one. But you really have to consider the tank size as well as other things before getting one. I wanted one when I had a 55g but I ended up waiting after ALOT of people here urged me to do so. And now I have a 6 foot tank and 3 tangs that are huge and fat and happy and healthy. For me it's all about the fish. :)

Tangs do need space. I Had a yellow tang forever before hurricane Isaac in my 55g and it was happy.

Agree to all the above advice. I am not trying to be negative either, just for your info if your three clowns are different species they are more likely to fight and they will fight to the death. Best to rehome one before that happens. The tang too unfortunately. Trust me the girlfriend isn't going to like it either when your livestock dies because you didn't do your research! Liveaquaria is good but also, as mentioned before, asking peoples advice on here before you make a purchase is invaluable. Will save you money and time in the future...

There are hundreds of different fish that will work great in your setup, so don't get discouraged.

I agree, tons of great fish but keep in line with size requirements, or at least close... I have had go from "doing just fine" to dead in a day..

No one is being negative, we want you to be successful and not have a negative experience.

Its just a little humbling to realize when we've made a mistake

Losing a lot of money and its not like I don't get attached to these fish .... I've been trying forever to get 1 happy tank ...... so unless someone wants to bless this 18 yr old rookie with 1000 $ in a 40 gal tank with a 500 $ petco gift card my tang 3 tank bred (one is black) 2 green spotted puffers and snowflake eel are staying

And yes if anything dies I will get pissed and buy another fish ..... this is crazy I have s fish addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom