Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

updated equipment for 75gall?

Hey all, I have been thinking for the past 2 weeks or so on what everyone said about a sump/fuge, I have really taken to the idea the more I read about them. so.... my question is, I have found a great deal from a friend at the LFS for a tank and stand, but the tank doesn't have an overflow, so I was wondering if I could use a hang on overflow ( I don't care if I show's, im not overly worried about it lol)? something like this?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...2&N=2004+22778 and if so which one (For a 29gall sump)? the reason I want to do this is because I DO NOT want to drill my own holes, I would rather spend the $$ than risk it....
also, what return pump should I use? so far my thinking for equipment is this

hang on overflow 600 -800 gph?
something this this to get the water to the sump/fuge? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113794
29gall fuge/sump (I will still need someone to explain to me exactly HOW to do this lol im not the best at DIY and my dad is worse than myself, I was actually hoping my friend could help me, his dad is an engineer and he loves to do DIY kinds of things even though he is not a huge fish person, If I could get the supplies and instructions I think me and my friend could build it... any thoughts?)
what return pumps?
then I was planning on having maybe 2? of the maxi-jet 1200 for the top of the tank and then maybe 2 mini jets 404 for those "nooks" and places stuff might build up like in a corner, so 2 of those of a smaller gph so I can keep good circulation?
then coralife supperskimmer 125
250 visitherm stealth heater
and lighting...that is yet to be figured out lol

now guy's PLEASE give your input and advice, this is my first tank bigger than 29gallons, and I want this to be done RIGHT, and I need your help! (would a cute picture of my cousins shiatsu (sp) help for the begging? ) and I am confused on what to get etc so any and all input would be great... thanks

CTR
blazeyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay, I would love to help......
I have a 55 gal main and a 20 gal sump and use the CPR overflow box as you linked above. I am happy with it overall, except I would highly recommend NOT using the aqualifter pump with it. Instead, I use a maxi-jet pump with a venturi attachment located in the sump--it works a ton better.

For my return pump, I use a mag 9.5. I have about 3-4 feet of head, but I also have it "T-ed" off so I can adjus the flow rate. For me, I have it just about on full flow and my overflow keeps up with it perfectly.

As far as the second link you gave--you don't need that if you have the CPR overflow....it does the job.

Also, I would highly recommend not using any other maxi-jets for flow. Just use a SCWD on your return line, and it should be plenty of flow (again, depending on the size of your main)

For more info on the above, see.....www.melevsreef.com

For your setup, perhaps the large 800gph CPR overflow and a larger mag pump would work. Just make sure you T it off, and you can adjust the flow accordingly

HTH

Old 04-10-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

well it will be a 75... and what do you mean that the CPR overflow will get the water to the sump? dont you need some tubeing of a sort to get it down to the sump? or is that somthing else or am I just confused lol. and what is a SCWD? please excuse my newbie-ness
also what do you mean by 3-4 foot of a head and "T-ed off"? what is a venturi? im sorry I am a small tank, freshwater guy and have just recently gotten into the high tech equipment (always just had the HOB filters on my 10 gallon tanks, and have 2x HOB's aquaclears on my 29 so im new to all this)
thanks for all the help to
CTR
Old 04-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry.....

The first thing you'll want to to is check out Melevsreef.com

He has very detailed explanations on sumps, return lines, SCWD's, and everything you could possibly want to know with diagrams and pictures.

Second.....do not be intimidated! I am a self proclaimed "non do it your selfer" and if I can do it, anybody can.

All you will need from the overflow box is vinyl tubing (which is flexible and easy) or hard PVC (which you need PVC glue, etc) to go from the bottom of the overflow and run it into your sump. You can find this at most hardware stores, but be sure to check and get the correct size (you will know this when you get your overflow box--or it might even be on the CPR website)

"Head" is the length that the pump has to push water upwards.....it affects the output of the pump because it's gravity that is has to push against. Here is an example:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...590#answer%204

Okay...."t-ed".....from your mag 12 pump (which I would recommend for you) you'll need PVC coming off of it and going into two--one of which goes to the main tank. And the other goes to a ball valve. See a ball valve here...
http://www.watertanks.com/category/137/

That way, when you open the ball valve, it will slow the flow to the main tank. And when you close the ball valve ,it will speed up the flow to the main. I hope this makes sense--it sounds complicated even when I write it, but it really is simple.

The idea is to make it to where the flow of your return pump matches the return of the overflow.

HTH

Any more questions, feel free to ask!

sorry, forgot the SCWD. See it here:
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_...id.asp?CartId=
Old 04-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh ok, I see... (still confuseing and complicated, but I do understand)
wow thanks a lot! you have been a ton of help!
CTR
Old 04-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

You're very welcome. Glad to pass on the knowledge that someone else passed on to me!
Old 04-10-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Good sound advice...one thing I would add is your choice of pumps for the tank...I would scrap the Maxi-Jets and look at the Tunze Nano Streams. They are about $60 each but they use only 7watts of power and have a much wider swath of water movement. I have them on my 72g tank and love the effect.

As for setting up the sump I would caution you on using the clear vinyl tubing as they do allow for algae growth. I have my system plumbed with PVC (it does require gluing) and am very happy with the results.

The CPR overflows are great and as Dr. Nate said don't worry with the aqualifter they just don't work as well as a PH like the Maxi-Jet (get one for this purpose). I have a 72g tank and I use a 1200gph overflow on my tank (dual overflow) I do this so I can always upgrade my return pump later if needed. If I were setting up this tank I would get the dual overflow rated at 1200gph, this will give you the felxibility to upgrade and change things later without having to buy a new overflow. Also if you are going to be using the Mag12 as your return pump you will need more then the 800gph even if you tee off the return line. That is a lot of pump!

I have pics posted in a few different threads of my sumps and plumbing..I will post them here if you would like to see.....

Happy reefing!
Old 04-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

ziggy I would love to see! I dont know about the Mag12, I was looking at prices and ouchie! did I mention im not a billionair (lol joke, no offence I hope ) so IF I dont go with the mag, what would you suggest? oh and I KNOW I wont be upgradeing tank size's...that is a fact that is as solid as diamond I tell you! I never thought I would get a 55, much less a 75 so I dont think I will need to worry about that (only 15, wont be gettting my own place for a a while....
CTR
Old 04-10-2007, 11:48 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I didn't mean upgrading tanks I mean adding additional sumps/fuge or equipment. Look on Ebay..I got a Mag 7 for $10 practically brand new. I use 2 660gph return pumps on my tank because I have a dual overflow.

Here are the pics I was talking about I think I have posted them in on of your threads before but can't remember and don't feel like searching around....

Old 04-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

wow ziggy! (I have never seen those pics either) that looks awesome! I will make sure to check out ebay because that return pump was going to push me a little over the limit I would like to stay at for equipment.... (that would be $500.... but that includes light, sump, skimmer and powerheads etc) not saying I cant go past it but I would rather not

CTR

Tags
75g, 75gal, equipment, updated

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com